Question Best Macbook for 500$?

Oct 24, 2021
Personally I am not a fan of the 2016-2020 USB-C MacBook Pro. We used them at work and they are pretty fragile and the keyboard is notorious for getting jammed up. Supposedly this was fixed with the later models, but I would definitely avoid the first run of USB-C MacBook Pros. Also this generation has a 1/10 repairability score on iFixit. If I were buying used, I would not buy something that's difficult to work on just in case.

I would go with a 2015 MacBook Pro, that way you get more ports, you still get MagSafe, Retina display, and you can still upgrade to macOS Monterey. It's not the easiest to repair, but at least the storage is easily accessible.

Nov 16, 2021
check out the site "backmarket.com" they sell refurbished or renewed macbooks (with a warranty mind you) for very good prices, depending on the exact specs 500 bucks can get you anywhere from a 2008 to a 2017 macbook, IM NOT KIDDING seriously check it out.
Keep in mind most Macbook Pro's storage is upgradeable these days aside from the newest ones (i think 2018 and on) so don't worry too much about not getting a 1tb storage option, its okay to get the smaller ones for a better price then upgrade for an even better price lol

But honestly I recommend 2015 13" or 15" (because they have an hdmi out which for me is pretty useful) Which all of them are generally around $500 on back market

I like the size of the 13" , but if you absolutely must have the faster PCIEx3.0 speeds (storage speeds), settle for the 15" 2015 or the 13"/15" from 2016

You can't go wrong with really any of em, they still perform well today.

Good Luck!!

Reactions: Red Butler

rgd1101

Don't
check out the site "backmarket.com" they sell refurbished or renewed macbooks (with a warranty mind you) for very good prices, depending on the exact specs 500 bucks can get you anywhere from a 2008 to a 2017 macbook, IM NOT KIDDING seriously check it out.
Keep in mind most Macbook Pro's storage is upgradeable these days aside from the newest ones (i think 2018 and on) so don't worry too much about not getting a 1tb storage option, its okay to get the smaller ones for a better price then upgrade for an even better price lol

But honestly I recommend 2015 13" or 15" (because they have an hdmi out which for me is pretty useful) Which all of them are generally around $500 on back market

I like the size of the 13" , but if you absolutely must have the faster PCIEx3.0 speeds (storage speeds), settle for the 15" 2015 or the 13"/15" from 2016

You can't go wrong with really any of em, they still perform well today.

Good Luck!!
look like ebay. 3rd party seller. never know what you going to get