Best Microphone for Living Room Cortana Use

javamac

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hey folks. I've discovered that my microphone has gone to the same place my socks disappear to. Time for a new one.
Since installing Win10 build 10074 all I've been curious about is Cortana.
I'm looking for recommendations for microphones that work well when you're sitting about ten feet away from them for voice commands. I have a feeling that if I go and buy the $6.99 one I see, it won't work very accurately. Thanks for any suggestions.

Solution
for distance pickup generally shotgun mics are preferred however really we are only talking about 3-4ft (even insanely expensive mics are only about double that).

aud.0304.gif

however, in your case i'm not sure this would help since it would limit your field of control. an omnidirectional or cardioid pattern may be better suited for your needs since you could talk to it from any location nearby. you get no additional range based on microphone pickup pattern though so the same sort of ranges apply.

instead of focusing on far range i'd have a small microphone closer. perhaps a wireless desktop microphone.
for distance pickup generally shotgun mics are preferred however really we are only talking about 3-4ft (even insanely expensive mics are only about double that).

aud.0304.gif

however, in your case i'm not sure this would help since it would limit your field of control. an omnidirectional or cardioid pattern may be better suited for your needs since you could talk to it from any location nearby. you get no additional range based on microphone pickup pattern though so the same sort of ranges apply.

instead of focusing on far range i'd have a small microphone closer. perhaps a wireless desktop microphone.

Solution

javamac

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

That was perfect. Thanks a lot. I'm leaning towards either wireless or a decent aux. extension, which I have tons of. My other thought was Kinect. It seems designed specifically for cross-room effectiveness, although I have no first-hand experience with it's quality.
Thanks again for the response.

StuckOnWords

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I'm in search of the same thing...good mic for use with Cortana. About the Kinect: my son has the Xbox One, and the version of Kinect that comes with that is absolutely astounding.

I need something for myself, though. I assume by now you've come up with something? What did you decide on, and are you happy with it?