Best New Features in IE9 Browser Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

imspecial

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Great concept with having the gpu take over the rendering. Wonder how strong of a gpu you need to make things smooth... Not like most of Tom's readers need to worry! :p

G

@imspecial - it doesn't need a powerful GPU; the Intel mobile chipset in the notebook I benchmarked on rates a 3.3 on the Windows index but we also saw the dual HD video stream being accelerated very well on a Dell netbook and a $460 Acer nettop that scored 3.2 for graphics and it was the same level of acceleration, with the video playing without any lag or stuttering.
MB

imspecial

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Guess it didn't register when you said "running on a Centrino 2 Netbook with Windows 7 and Intel’s integrated graphics." Thanks for clearing that up! Haha

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
This probably won't pull me away from firefox for long, i'll take a test drive of course, can't knock it until you've tried it.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I'm running the IE9 technical preview, and I do like it's new browser engine. However, I'm not switching from Firefox any time soon. It's pretty certain that Firefox will have support for these standards before they become common enough to be missed, even if IE9 is first to implement them.

G

This will put firefox and opera on their toes. Can't wait to see how they'll make better hardware acceleration than IE9s. I hope it isn't too long after the release of IE9.

G

i don't know about this one... too many problems with previous experiences using IE. the first thing that comes to my mind when i read this was about netscape- standing in front of slew of tanks. poor netscape.

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
It's good to have better implementation and broader support on hardware usage model for web browsers.

Though, there seems to be so many "problems" on the web standards pointed out by Microsoft. To me, this just seems to be another way for Microsoft to deviate from the standard.

This time, by giving better graphics and animation performance to steer more developers to lean on IE9 for rich contents.

Standards maybe difficult to evolve, upgrade bug fix because it needs to be discussed and voted. This ultimately leads to better results and fair for the whole community.

It is not good to have another closed standard to make the web development slow again.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Um, they have to figure out how to save a SVG image? How about this, save it as a .SVG file. Let the user figure out how to convert from SVG to whatever image format they want. If Microsoft wants people to stick with their products, they'll add SVG conversion to MSPaint. I've never heard something so stupid in my life.

As for dragging the image, I thought all image dragging was already done with bitmap (i.e. the format of the data as displayed on the screen), and not in the source format (e.g. PNG, GIF, etc...)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I just hope it doesnt crash every time I open the browser. When I open IE8 and open a tab, it takes a while to open, then when I close the tab, it stops resonding for like 5 min. Thats really anoying and its the reason I changed to Firefox and Chrome in the first place. Ill check it out when its finished, if it Doesnt crash as much, I might stay with it.

arnweb

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
It's so good, but too late. I admire Microsoft trend to support W3 standards, but I think even this version is far behind browser like Opera and Firefox.

marybranscombe

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
@imspecial - you're very welcome

@bustapr - that sounds more like an addin slowing the tabs down than IE8; you can try disabling addins temporarily inside the Addin Manager to see if you see a difference in speed

@hellwig - the SVG standard doesn't specify how a browser should allow users to copy or save an image by right-clicking (at the moment the way to save is to View Source and copy and paste) so as Microsoft plans to include the feature it has to choose how to implement it. Do most Web users want an SVG file they'll need Illustrator to do anything with or would they rather have a PNG they can use like any other image file?
MB

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I am quite worry about the future of the HTML 5 standard, if IE9 promise to adhere to the standard but remains at 55/100 or won't even hit 95/100 and missing some critical parts and functions in the standard.

With high performance graphics and easy to use Visual Studio 2010, this may lure developers to it and there will be little chance for others to compete again.

Status
Not open for further replies.