Best PC Security Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

das_stig

Distinguished
No performance charts, pointless just listing a random bunch of software titles. Would have better to show real world performance hits on say an i3 + 4GB + HDD, as a lot of these come as time limited bloatware in low spec machines from OEM's.

HankChill

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Anyone who advertises Norton Antivirus as a "Best PC Antivirus Software" is clearly being bribed to do so.Sellout much?

sephirothmk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Anyone who advertises Norton Antivirus as a "Best PC Antivirus Software" is clearly being bribed to do so.Sellout much?
Norton is actually really nice these days. I've been using it for a year and a half. If it didn't remind me that i have to renew it's licence a few months ago, I would've forgotten that I have it in my system. No viruses, no issues, nothing

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Norton left such a sour taste in my mouth years ago that I have avoided it like the plague... right down there with McAffee. Their software was so burdensome on machines, users felt like the software was the virus.Maybe things have changed.... I don't know but this article certainly won't convince me or other IT Professional/Small Business Network Admins to start including them again. The users would have my head.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
No mention of Microsoft Security essentials. Free and non-intrusive.
To be fair, it really shouldn't be compared to them either. MSE is great for identifying some of the most nasty and popular malware/trojan/virus wares but limps in the department of removal without the help of other tools.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I am a fan of MsSE as well as it is really lightweight. And Free.If I was going to pay someone for protection, it would probably be the guy who identified and tracked the state-sponsored malware Stuxnet, namely Kaspersky. At least they are actually paying attention to whats going on.

Iggledude

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Norton Internet Security is my choice and has been since the 2011 remake (2010 for me really.. but Norton got it way right in 2011).Since that point Norton has been one of the most well reviewed virus, malware, root kit, adware, identity protection, parental control software available. I'm not getting paid to say Norton is a fine product... It is.Years ago, just like some posters here recollect, Norton (Symantec) was a resource hog and was terrible at catching "live" threats. It got in the way and done more harm that good. It was a hot mess. Period. I agree, it was poop. It ain't now though.That all changed with the 2010/2011 remake. They got it right... real right.Again, I'm not being paid, but if ya want a great piece of software that you KNOW is looking out for you, try Norton again. I'm betting you won't be sorry.My price for 5 PCs... $68.00 American Dollars. It was cheaper for me because I was already a user.Price on Amazon: $87.00 for Five (5) PCs. That kind of security... for that many users... at that price... go get it. Ya won't be sorry.http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Internet-Security-2014-Download/dp/B00FGDE64C/ref=sr_1_5?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1393631605&sr=1-5&keywords=norton+internet+security+2014

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
While most of us who reads Toms will probably avoid Norton and McAfee, the rest of Joe and Jane will continue to use it, since these two brands have been out for so long. If you were to instal other antivirus programs, where a person who has been using Norton their whole life, chances are, they might not trust the other product, unless they see for themselves, the other antivirus program is able to remove the virus where Norton fails, then they might make the change. If Norton does the job, they will continue to use it, no matter how hard you try to convince them, there are better and/or free alternatives.

infernocy

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
the best antivirus is guess what you and only you , i have to use antivirus for like 4 -5 years. if you are careful and take care of your operating system and keep track of what you do you dont really need one , they say you need one ....

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Got to say, I agree! I've never found anything that was lacking in MSE. I can't believe it that people still fall for the that scam where one has to actually pay for anti-malware software...

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Got to say, I agree! I've never found anything that was lacking in MSE. I can't believe it that people still fall for the that scam where one has to actually pay for anti-malware software...
If your PC was a baseball diamond, MSE would cover 1st base pretty well. Once the runner reaches 2nd base though, you need the inning to end or you need to field a different team.Paying for anti-malware software isn't a scam, unless you're a fool. The unsolicited ones you pay for, are a scam. MalwareBytes - Can't say enough good about them... keep up the excellent work & love Chameleon!CCleaner - Outstanding lightweight scanners & utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.