Best smaller monitor for the price?

nazanone

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I need a smaller monitor for my room, in the pics you can see that my room is very small and for the moment i will not treat it.

In a short future i will add a subwoofer(when i treat my room) because changing the monitors to ones with big woofer(8" for example) will place too much space in my small desktop. I have Auralex MoPads in order to isolate the monitors from the desk.

In a short future too i will change the room to another bigger so i can add the subwoofer too(i will treat first)

I only will use the monitors to listening music, i don't buy hi fi speakers because a pair of b&w 685 + Rotel AMP is u$s 2100, too much money for me. I live in latin america.

So, what is the best option?

Adam A3X u$s 930
Genelec 8030B u$s 1300
KRK VXT4 u$s 800
Focal CMS40 u$s 1150

I like the VXT4 for the price, but i don't know.

Here the pics: thankss!!

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
why are you asking us to listen to speakers for you?
i dont recall ever hearing any of them.
but i would make the same suggestion as usual.. buy from a store that offers a refund if you arent satisfied.

what one person likes doesnt make certain that the speakers are any better.
if i did hear something in that price range.. i would always be looking for a do-it-yourself project that comes close for a much cheaper price.

i think once you get into that high of a price range, the differences might be hard to notice.
usually we aim for frequency response and clarity.. but i have seen people who are willing to be pushed into buying something based on somebody else's judgement.
that doesnt offer real satisfaction.
i think KNOWING why it is better and KNOWING all of the competition isnt any better will be more satisfying than somebody telling you what is best for you.

but somebody might come along and tell you 'such and such speaker is clearly better than the rest' and you could thank them for that.

if your price range is that high, you should be listening to those speakers in a product demonstration for yourself.
i know the cheaper speakers are hard to find for a listening demo.. the higher priced speakers might be the same way.

i think asking 'what is the best option' will get you an answer something like 'try them all for yourself'
maybe you like a warmer sound.. maybe you like a cooler sound.

i tell people to build their own speakers because the price to performance ratio is a lot higher when you buy speakers and build your own cabinet.
you are probably victimizing yourself by not doing it yourself.. not necessarily quality but price.
same thing with building a computer or purchasing a used entertainment center.
piecing it together one by one gives you the opportunity to have a higher end-result.
some people dont understand why $300 for a do-it-yourself project is better than $200 for a prebuilt set.
but its the results of the do-it-yourself project that can compare with higher priced prebuilts that should be worthwhile.

i mean.. i have seen $50 speakers in a fancy wooden cabinet for sale with a price tag of thousands of dollars.
people are paying for the fancy wood and labor costs.

and remember.. just because a speaker sounds good when simply playing music.. it doesnt mean the speaker is going to continue to sound good when you adjust the equalizer or calibrate some reverb for the room.
those details can make one speaker better than the others.
the same can be said if a speaker sounds bad when simply playing music.. if you use and equalier or add some reverb, maybe the clarity and details will improve.

anyways.. sorry.
i dont know which one of those is the better speaker.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
For the price, you might want to consider M-Audio BX5a, Behringer B2030P or Behringer B2031P.

I have the BX5a (I wanted the BX8a but the size...) and it's pretty good. My friend was amaze about the sound quality when he heard my Leonard Cohen's connected to my BlackBerry 9700 and he thinks it's better than my father's $2500 audio system. However, my father’s listening preference is somewhat bright for my taste. Don’t get me wrong, the BX5a could be a little bright too if the source is.

Unfortunately, I don't know what's the price difference on those speakers in your country.