Best/smallest notebook/laptop for AutoCAD?

CFlemisterIV

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello all,

I am wanting a laptop/notebook (the smaller the better) to use for school work and AutoCAD 2011 or 2012. I was hoping that someone on here has some useful suggestions or experience using a small notebook/laptop for CAD.

Powerful, but small ... preferably with at least a 5 hour battery life with moderate use, those are my requirements! Any ideas?

Thanks!

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
IMHO, you are wasting your time. 3D CAD programs require more computing power than can be supplied by a portable computer of any description. Check with Autodesk and see what they think.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

You can run autocad on modest hardware as long as you aren't running real big drawings. I have a Dell laptop with a P9500 processor (2.53GHz dual core) and 4GB of ram and it does pretty well. I also have a 13" ultraportable with 1.6GHz dual core cpu and 5 hour battery life, but it would be pretty slow with autocad. I believe current machines with the new i3 mobile processors will have enough speed AND close to enough battery life. Some manufacturers offer extended batteries so if battery life is a high priority then you would want to go that way.