TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
I am considering buying a Beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset for gaming, VOIP, and music. I currently use my motherboards on-board sound so I wanted to find out what the best sound card would be to use with this headset. I don't really have a budget but I would prefer the below 250 USD range. I am aiming for the best audio quality possible with this headset.

My PC Specs.

Stock HP P7-1414. The only modifications are a new XFX pro 500 watt power supply and an EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX graphics card.

My motherboard is a MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)

I currently use a set of Plantronics Gamecom commanders as my headset.

And I also want to know about alternatives. For this price I want the best bang for my buck. And I see that buying a headset that does not come with a microphone built in and buying a high quality desk mic may provide better performance. If I did this what headset and microphone could you guys recommend? I need excellent directional audio for my games, but I also want the best quality possible for music and movies. I want the mic to be very high quality as well because I use VOIP programs a lot and would like my voice to come through clearly and as "true to life" as possible without background noise.

I would like to stay below 400 USD on the microphone + headset. And stay below 250 USD on the sound card.

Solution
Well 2 things i get from reading the post,

You use headphones a lot
you want quality over quantity, well i think

i have to ask, what came up with wanting the beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset anyways?
the amount your willing to spend you can end up with a very good soundstage.

my thoughts would be get a very nice audiophile headphones and pair it with the best USB external soundcard and buy and very nice boom mic like radio host use.

Sorry for the all the Q's but with that amount of money you have a ton of ways to go. You could just get the MMX 300's but i would use reviews, and first when i used the link, i hate closed headphones, but thats me, my Ears hurt after long use times.( I make music) i use AKG K702's

Ask anything i'll...

Popa2caps

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Well 2 things i get from reading the post,

You use headphones a lot
you want quality over quantity, well i think

i have to ask, what came up with wanting the beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset anyways?
the amount your willing to spend you can end up with a very good soundstage.

my thoughts would be get a very nice audiophile headphones and pair it with the best USB external soundcard and buy and very nice boom mic like radio host use.

Sorry for the all the Q's but with that amount of money you have a ton of ways to go. You could just get the MMX 300's but i would use reviews, and first when i used the link, i hate closed headphones, but thats me, my Ears hurt after long use times.( I make music) i use AKG K702's

Ask anything i'll try to help.

Solution

TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

Yeah I use my headphones very often. Every day for multiple hours. I wanted the mmx300s because I heard good things about them through friends, but with the amount of money I can spend I am open to other solutions as well. Which is why I asked the question. I prefer closed ear because It blocks the noise around me out (loud dog, other people in the house, stuff like that) and I find them more comfortable. However I am not set on the mmx300s. If someone could reccomend me a better alternative like a pair of audiophile headphones and a good desk mic then Ill more likely go with that. What I am looking for is the best audio quality possible in movies and music, but with great positional audio for when I play games. For the microphone I want something that I can use in VOIP without white noise, static, or picking up background noise, and has a very clear and close to real life sound for my voice. I have used tons of mics and a lot of them make my voice sound electronic or weird.

TLDR:

If someone can reccomend a good pair of audiophile headphones for my needs., internal or external soundcard, and a good desk mic. I will most likely go with that.

I was simply interested in the mmx300s because I heard good things about them.

Popa2caps

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014

Okay cool that help alot, Now don't get me wrong those headphones you listed are a good brand, i'll just have to dig a lot to find if audiophiles use them.

The best sound with a really good set of headphones would be a very good DAC. they can be internal or external. I'll post in a bit with what i find.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-1-4-2015-beyerdynamic-t70-added

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2152152/sennheiser-363d-beyerdynamic-mmx-300-gaming.html

I would take a look at this nice review site i found.

Keep a close watch on CES that starts today, Will be new cans they show off.

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
I haven't tried the mmx300, but I used to own the beyerdynamic dt770 80 and 250 ohm which it is based off of. I much prefered the AKG k550 for gaming in CS:GO. The bass was too boomy and you could not discern footsteps directionally with the dt770's. Either the akg k550 or ath-a900x are recommended for closed back gaming, and you really don't need an amp. as for microphones, the samson meteor is nice at $50 or the blue yeti at $100.

TheRealBeandip

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

Thanks for all the help bro. Considering these options. Ive settled on going with a blue yeti desk mic and getting a set of audiophile headphones. Started a separate thread about the audiophile set.

Popa2caps

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014

Very nice, I'm looking into this same issue, i own a paid of good headphones (AKG K702's) but need a good soundcard are audio interface. But i have active studio monitors as well. Best to you with this setup, You should love the sound of good cans, reviews are everywhere. Just remember say things you want, like you want closed back headphones and what type of soundstage you are looking for.