Best student Chromebook in 2021

Mar 27, 2022
  1. Why call them "student" Chromebooks? My computing needs are modest, but I'm not a "student." And most "students" are big into video games, videos, etc.
  2. I'm surprised you don't note the hardware dates on reviews of Chromebooks. That's the date after which you can no longer download any updates, including security patches. I've seen Samsung Chromebooks currently for sale, on their website that already were past their expiration date.
  3. I don't understand the emphasis on "thin" and "light" for computers that already are plenty thin and light. You might actually want some heft otherwise it's bouncing around too much when using your laptop on your lap (as I often do).
  4. Likewise I see no point to a metal case. I'm using a Samsung right now and it's all plastic. Which is just fine. Nice texture even, if anyone cares about that -- seems these have become mere commodities now, and they get scratched up quickly, so I don't really care about appearance.
  5. Another feature I'm looking for is USB-C charging. I want to be able to use the same charger for phone and Chromebook -- one less thing to carry around, one less cord, one less thing to lose or forget, etc.
  6. Another feature that would be great is 12VDC charging. I.e., charging in a vehicle (without using an inverter). Do any offer that? I haven't seen it.

Apr 3, 2022
  1. Why call them "student" Chromebooks? My computing needs are modest, but I'm not a "student." And most "students" are big into video games, videos, etc.
  2. I'm surprised you don't note the hardware dates on reviews of Chromebooks. That's the date after which you can no longer download any updates, including security patches. I've seen Samsung Chromebooks currently for sale, on their website that already were past their expiration date.
  3. I don't understand the emphasis on "thin" and "light" for computers that already are plenty thin and light. You might actually want some heft otherwise it's bouncing around too much when using your laptop on your lap (as I often do).
  4. Likewise I see no point to a metal case. I'm using a Samsung right now and it's all plastic. Which is just fine. Nice texture even, if anyone cares about that -- seems these have become mere commodities now, and they get scratched up quickly, so I don't really care about appearance.
  5. Another feature I'm looking for is USB-C charging. I want to be able to use the same charger for phone and Chromebook -- one less thing to carry around, one less cord, one less thing to lose or forget, etc.
  6. Another feature that would be great is 12VDC charging. I.e., charging in a vehicle (without using an inverter). Do any offer that? I haven't seen it.
so, what do you think? Is it good or not ?