Best TVs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Paying for a smart TV is a stupid move. With consoles, bluray players and chromecast all turning your TV into one, you're just wasting money.

For example, you can get a 50" TV for $500 that doesn't have smart features. Or a 40" for $300. Either choice is a better deal than the 42" Vizio for $480.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Lancelot has the right idea. Why buy a smart TV when you can get roku, chromecast, apple tv, or even a PS4 for about the cost difference between "dumb" and "smart" tv's.

50" 1080p TV + PS4, or "smart" 50" 1080P TV. There is only one smart choice between those two options.

Maybe I missed it, but a review / round up of the non console entertainment devices would be much more appreciated (for me at least) than a list (advertisement) of $5k televisions.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
That was the most worthless buyer's guide I have seen in a long time. The vast majority of people aren't buying any TV over $1000. I did, but most don't. To make matters worse, you recommend a crap brand like Vizio.

Do your selves a favor and buy a quality TV like Samsung. Sacrifice a few inches and smart features for quality and you'll be happier in the long run. The jabronis writting this article don't ever have a TV long enough to see it dim over time or crap out entirely. The rest of us like to keep a TV longer than a year.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I buy a TV for its picture quality, not necessarily connectivity options like WiFi and whatnot. My Blu-ray player covers the wireless streaming. And I agree about plasma - my 4 year old Panasonic plasma still beats a lot of the LCD screens I've seen lately.

dnw1962

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Those of you discounting Vizio because of it's reputation for low price have much to learn. Go do a side by side comparison with any other 1080P tv out there and one of the Vizio Razer M series and I think you will be surprised at just how good they are. No they won't beat a Panny Plazma but they certainly hold there own against the slightly more expensive LG, Samsung, Sharp. and Panasonic LED/LCDs. I have a 47" Vizio hanging on my wall now that I bought in 2007 that still looks great. I'm planning to buy the reccomended M501D as an upgrade in size and features(3D) and retiring the 47 to the Kids. As for the smart features. I could not agree more. I wish I could buy a non-smart 3D tv.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I recently purchased a 50" LG Smart TV (non 3D..thank god) for around $750 locally so I know I got a good deal from Best Buy. Yes I know I could save around $100 for a non smart tv but I have noticed some nice integration for local HDTV channels that made it worthwhile. I currently own the Roku3 and PS3 I use for streaming.

Roku3 actually makes streaming much more enjoyable than the Smart TV such as Netflix and Amazon. There are some decent apps for my TV but "On TV" app makes it fun to find something on my over the air programming via the antenna.

It's a mixed bag. I bought the smart tv for the features of software upgradablity and expand the functionality of it. Probably will do it again in the future.

miguelrwilliamson

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
<b>my neighbor's half-sister makes $82 an hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for 8 months but last month her check was $21541 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit here =====>>> http://www.jobs25.com<b>

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
@Hellbound - Own it. Love it. I was fairly surprised as well. I couldn't justify the jump in price for the VT when the ST performs so well.

Like others have said and the article points out, there is no substitute for Plasma when it comes to PQ. I have 3 large plasmas as well as a 40" local dimming LED that's in my office. I enjoy the LED since it was able to be hung on a tiny full motion mount, but if the room permitted it I would replace it for another plasma.

Its depressing that Plasma is dying. Advertising has convinced Joe consumer that the depth of the tv matters more than the quality of the picture. If you don't have one, do yourself a favor and buy a plasma before they are dust in the wind.

G

Curved screen for a tv is a stupid fad for the same people who bought pet rocks.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Put a Panasonic Plasma TV on here?? Seriously???Production has ceased and you cannot find these TV's anywhere except from sellers who have jacked the price up to over $4000.This is a POS article.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Paying for a smart TV is a stupid move. With consoles, bluray players and chromecast all turning your TV into one, you're just wasting money.For example, you can get a 50" TV for $500 that doesn't have smart features. Or a 40" for $300. Either choice is a better deal than the 42" Vizio for $480.
Agreed. I bought my 40" Westinghouse 120Hz LED LCD nonSmart TV for $260 from KMart. It had a huge bright spot in the middle of the screen and I was going to put it back in the box and return it.. They were already closed though and by the time I got a chance to return it a few days later, the bright spot was gone. Now that the bright spot is gone, its better than the $1000 LG TV I bought 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS