Best type of speakers?

rudi95

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hi all,
I currently have a set of Technics SB-F860 speakers hitched up to an old Marantz eclipse Amp.
My biggest problem with these is they are HUGE and starting to get dated so I am looking to update my sound system.

Im wondering what type of speaker would be best for my situation, i do quite a bit of gaming but also love listening to music (bit of an audiophile lately), i quite like the idea of a set of active studio monitors like Behringer truth b1030a's but i fell like they would be lacking a lot of base. Another option would be something like the corsair sp2500 speakers but i think they would miss some of the clarity. Ps. Above speakers are only examples in my budget range anything would be considered

Any help would be appreciated

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished

yeah the diamonds get great reviews everywhere. 21w isnt going to blast a party at your house, but its enough for moderately loud listening levels. Is this for use for your PC? or just for music? if its close range listening at your pc its going to be more than enough volume. I predict the technics speakers you have may have a bit higher efficiency being a 3 way with a horn tweeter (meaning you get more volume out of them, dB per watt.) So going to the wharfdales may sacrifice some volume with that amp. But they are rated down to 50hz which many bookshelf speakers that small can't get down to, and i would take that rating to the bank on these speakers. Some manufacturers put some outrageous claims of frequency response, i have seen small bookshelf speakers claiming down to 20hz, not mentioning that the low end of the response may be at -36dB or something.

A little bit of an unknown company that makes some good self amped speakers is Microlab, they have got some great reviews:
http://www.microlab.com/?r=English

rudi95

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Unfortunately the diamonds are sold out everywhere, i did manage to find a shop near to where i live that has some really nice monitor audio BX1,BX2 and MR1 speakers so going to ask them if i can have a listen and whether they think my amp will power them.
I will be sitting like directly in front of the speakers due to pc use anyway so not that much power will be used from the amp