Best vacuum for cleaning laptop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks, I was wondering if you can recommend a vacuum for cleaning my laptop?

I've previously bought a cheap (£1) USB mini-vacuum and it was useless, so I'm looking for something more powerful/effective. It would also be great to find a duster (that sprays air out).

I found the following so far but didn't know if they are any good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITdusters-com-EGP-COM-011-CompuCleaner-Electric-Duster/dp/B00S7CH6FK/ref=sr_1_1?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1463945855&sr=1-1&keywords=datavac

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecommercia-ProsKit-Portable-Keyboard-Cleaning/dp/B0199TTOXG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1463944995&sr=8-9&keywords=laptop+vacuum

Any recommendations would be much appreciated (btw - I prefer not to use the spray air dusters/cans).

Thanks!

Solution
I've been in the PC field since the mid 70s, I have always used the nozzle of my home vacuum hovering over my components while using a toothbrush/ paintbrush as a duster. I've never had a problem or neither have the others I know that use the same method.
Jun 4, 2018
I have done that several times with a 1500 W vacuum cleaner and several Dell Precision and Latitude laptops. Note that these Laptops ar blowing out air from the fan through a filter to the outside. Some others may suck the air in through that filter.

BUT: First make sure that the small fan gets only a fraction of the full suction power, it is not as robust as a normal, big desktop cpu fan. So, if you come near with the vc tube to the laptop fan, give it only a very short time, then hold it off.

NEVER put it directly onto the fan for longer than a short fraction of a second! You will see, when the fan begins to rotate fast. Try to hinder it, if possible, with a match or a needle (don't loose that into the laptop's body).

If your vc allows power justification, use the lowest possible setting. The most efficient way, although, is to clean the fan with a little brush, then use a small vc (for the kitchen, f.i.) to clean the fan's surroundings, if you don't get it out.

ANOTHER BUT: From my experience, the most blocking dust is placed in the filter, not in the fan. So you also can try to suck out the air from the inner side of the filter with the vc, if reachable. Try to block the fan from beginning to rotate, while doing this.

To clean the filter from the outside, I had several times to "bite the dust", i.e. blow air from my lungs, which is much stronger than most cans you can buy, directly from the outside of the filter to the inside (with opened Laptop-casing). I put my lips around the filter output.... Urgh!

With some coughing later, I have to add. And do it near a window or outside, because there can come out a lot....

You can try this "natural" method, of course, with the fan, too, but be careful not to spit on the surrounding electronics.

Sep 5, 2018
I will recommend you to use a vacuum cleaner that consumes less energy and generates less power. This type of vacuum cleaner can vacuum your PC without getting the components of PC damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.