Best Video Editing Software 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renevp2

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
Pretty helpful. I do use Premiere Pro for my projects, but when it comes to recommend an editing software to my novice friends I'm completely lost.

maestro0428

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I have always used Premiere Pro until recently. I am looking for a budget editor to replace it. Never really liked Elements, but I don't really wanna relearn a new package either.

James87Raymond

Estimable
Mar 22, 2015
But this year Cyberlink gave toughest time to Adobe , John knoll needs to heed over things newly ... plus Sony Movie Studio got unexpectedly good price as compared to Pinnacle .. Well, Either be Adobe or Pinnacle .. User should be happy and satisfied.

Auden_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016
Don't understand the criticism directed against sony vegas movie studio. I find it extremely intuitive and effective. Put your video track and audio track on the time line. Simply have video overlay track above main video track to add photos/video just blend how much with opacity control. Great piece of software.

Auden_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016
I love the way, how with Sony Vegas u just drag a video clip to extend it and make it repeat (or drag pics to make them present longer) - natural and intuitive thing to do. It surprises me that most other movie software doesn't offer this.

Rebecca_31

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
All these editors ask for charge, why not use some free ones, like Video Grabber, which is not easy but useful.

midix

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
The rendering speed comparison seems to be just encoder speed and not closely related to the software itself because on Windows you can pick any DirectShow based encoder in any video editor.

For me, the most important aspect is how streamlined and intuitive is the software for most common tasks and for occasional use.

For example, friends bring you a bunch of video clips and images, filmed on different devices - cellphones, cameras, etc., with different audio and video quality, different video brightness, different file formats, and you have just a few hours to assemble it all into one coherent video for someone's birthday party. Assume, that you haven't used your video editor for a few months and have forgotten all specific keyboard shortcuts.

Now, how easy it will be to bring all those videos and images together, normalize audio volume, video brightness, create a slide show clip from image sequence, clean away audio and video noise, add simple transitions and some texts?

Is there any "magic one click button" which provides you with defaults for the task and then helps you to tweak the settings for entire track or individual clips?

Does the software support basic expected keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste, undo, scrolling, zoom in - ctrl-c, ctrl-z, mousewheel, ctrl-mousewheel? This might sound crazy but there are many programs where you still have to click on tiny up/down arrows to scroll instead of just focusing your mouse somewhere on the area of interest and scrolling the mousewheel. Some software even go as far as replacing default Windows shortcuts with their own commands, causing complete mess.

Does the software interrupt you with nag screens of their "better products" and there is no way to turn them off?

Does the software have some confusing UI controls which have the same name but work / do not work based on circumstances? Real life example - Render loop region checkbox in Movie Studio Platinum; it is displayed in two places and if you pick advanced mode, the first checkbox stops working and you have to use the other one, which is hidden under some barely noticeable dropdown.

Does the software turn out to be just an empty shell and you have to buy even some basic effects and plugins separately? Whats the point buying a program for 30$ if you have to spend 100$ to collect all the needed plugins for basic color correction, noise filtering, AVCHD import etc.?

So, please, next time you review these programs, please focus more on usability and bundled features for everyday use.

Status
Not open for further replies.