Best video rendering program for amd?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I have a 280X and would love to render videos faster, what I currently use doesn't work, if anyone knows of a program that does, or even plugins for other programs please let me know.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

vegas is what im trying to dump if at all possible because it refuses to use the gpu to render, is after effects good for editing video? i thought that it was a post tool.

Mr_Venbeer

Estimable
May 11, 2014
After Effects is a pretty good editing software. I use Sony Vegas myself and I was told that After Effects is much more complicated.
In your render settings for Vegas, you should get a drop down menu that will have the options of rendering using CPU, GPU, or Automatic.
This depends on what format you are rendering videos to.

As far as Adobe products go (their professional line anyway) Premiere Pro would be a better choice than After Effects (AE). After Effects is, as alidan suggested, a post tool. Personally, I would not try to edit with AE. I have both and use Premiere Pro for editing and AE for effects.

Premiere Pro CC 2014 supported graphics cards list You will need to scroll down the page to see the supported AMD cards for GPU acceleration. Premiere Pro CC 2014 is available through a subscription only so you can't buy it outright like you can Vegas.

There should be many editing programs that support OpenCL. The following is from a tech support page for CyberLink PowerDirector:
"Note: Accelerated video encoding on AMD graphics cards requires the user to install the AMD Media Codec Package, also known as the Avivo™ Package. This package is available as an optional download when obtaining an AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver for AMD desktop graphics and notebook graphics products, available at www.amd.com."

Understandable. It comes down to what works best for you. I started out with Premiere years ago and it's what I've gotten comfortable with using. I've tried a trial version of Vegas but in all fairness I never spent much time with it so I won't knock it. I've also tried, and still have, a version of Avid Media Composer. Supposed to be really good but I've never taken the time to learn to use it properly.