Best VR for me/my situation

dylanlthomas

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi all,
So I have the opportunity to buy either HTC Vive or Oculus Rift Touch (2 sensors) for around the same price (Vive at £350 and Rift at £400), I’m just having great difficulty which would be the best for me. Here’s what I’m looking for in a VR experience:
- Want to play FPS games such as Pavlov
- Want to play Project Cars/City Driving Sim with the headset and my steering wheel
- Dont intend on using room scale as I don’t really have the room to do so
- Standing and sitting will be my only real use
- Basically just want to be able to play a few of FPS games; Pavlov, range type games, super hot etc
- This isn’t the complete list, as I’d also like to try out any other games I may like the look of in the store

Can anyone recommend which set would be better? I’ve heard that Vive has better tracking for larger rooms and has is better for those with glasses (like me), but I also hear that the touch controllers are the better choice being more innovative and that the headset is lighter.

To help, my pc specs are:
i5-4690K
MSI GTX 970
16GB 1866MHz

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Solution

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I'd stick with the Rift. I have done some exhaustive and exhausting research over the past 8 months comparing the two and the HTC Vive is the clear winner for my situation. For your situation I'd move over to the Rift. I also prefer the Vive due to some features the Oculus lacks. Let's say you wear glasses for have some really long eyelashes. The Vive has a couple adjustments. For one the user can change the IPD which is aka interpupillary distance which is aka the space between your pupils. The user can also move the lenses farther back to allow for glasses or lashes. The Rift lacks that feature.

Your next upgrade should be to the 1070 or better. I have your setup sans 8GB of RAM. The 4690K is still more than capable of handling either headset. There is another setting which adjusts supersampling within Steam for the Vive or Oculus's setup. The lower amount of VRAM and the 970's relatively lower performance won't really allow too much of a SS increase which can improve the headset's visual appeal. I will be upgrading to the 1080 before I buy the Vive.

Solution