Best way to connect PC to Home Theater System

Status
Not open for further replies.

elhospital

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Hi guys, I found a couple similar threads, but I wasn't able to lock down an answer. I'm trying to connect my PC to my 7.1 home theater box (Onyko HT-R560). I can get everything to work with this setup:

HDMI video out of my GPU (MSI GTX 770) to 1080p TV
SPDIF audio out of my Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard to Onyko

Unfortunately my Onyko receiver does not carry audio over its HDMI pass-through, so I need 2 separate outputs. My question is simply, is this the best setup, or could I be doing something better here?

Solution
i've actually heard of a situation like yours. it seems to happen on "home theater in a box" type systems. there can be some strange issues.... which is why i prefer "real" receivers.

in your particular case then i would do this....

PC GPU---hdmi--->TV
PC MOBO or SOUND CARD---spdif--->ONKYO

why are you running both hdmi and spdif to your receiver?

you can carry both audio and video on the hdmi cable out of your video card (most modern cards support this) which then goes to the receiver to be decoded.

i'm not sure what you mean by your onkyo doesnt support audio over hdmi passthrough. the audio from your pc hdmi would be split off and decoded then sent to your 7.1 speakers while the video content only would go to your television. you dont want to use the tv speakers when you have a surround system anyways so i dont see an issue.

unless you are trying to say that your onkyo supports video input from hdmi but not sound? this would be rather strange.

the best way is typically as i described...

PC----hdmi---->ONKYO----hdmi---->TV

elhospital

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Unfortunately I tried that first and got video but no sound. From what I was reading, it seemed that my receiver model cannot carry both audio and video over HDMI. I could be wrong, but it sure wasn't working when I tried it as you described (which was my first thought as well). I agree that it is weird, but it is around 5 years old at this point. Paul's setup is getting me sound from my system, not sure if it's surround or not though.

i've actually heard of a situation like yours. it seems to happen on "home theater in a box" type systems. there can be some strange issues.... which is why i prefer "real" receivers.

in your particular case then i would do this....

PC GPU---hdmi--->TV
PC MOBO or SOUND CARD---spdif--->ONKYO

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.