Best way to connect Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung TV and Sony reciever

madsklitgaard

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I have a Samsung Smart TV (ES8005) from 2011 which I bought together with a Sony Home Entertainment system (5.1).

The blu-ray player in the Sony has stopped working and its to expensive to fix it so I bought a Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-H6500) since it was almost the same price as the repair.

I'm still using the Sony as the receiver but I'm now a bit confused as to how I'm to connect these devices.

I've always connected the devices directly to the receiver, but with two Samsung Products that seems to be able to crosstalk would it be better to connect the blu-ray player directly to the TV and then use an Optical cable from the Blu-Ray player to the receiver for audio?

Or should I still connect the Blu-Ray player directly to the receiver?

madsklitgaard

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

I haven't tried it yet since I have to do a lot of cable work and moving around furniture I thought it would best to ask first instead :)

I want to have the best possible connection I can get between the devices without losing out on audio.

If your Sony HTiB supports lossless audio on Bluray such as Dolby TruHD you will be losing sound quality by using the optical audio output so connect via HDMI to the Sony.
If not then it will be the same with HDMI or optical.
Make sure to set the TV to output 5.1 audio otherwise you will not get digital surround sound and to turn off or down the TV internal audio.

If your Sony HTiB supports lossless audio on Bluray such as Dolby TruHD you will be losing sound quality by using the optical audio output so connect via HDMI to the Sony.
If not then it will be the same with HDMI or optical.
Make sure to set the TV to output 5.1 audio otherwise you will not get digital surround sound and to turn off or down the TV internal audio.