Best way to return a laptop to amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valqor

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
So I need to return my laptop to amazon because it just isn't powerful enough for my tastes and I found an awesome deal on a 900 dollar computer that is near the same price as the laptop that I bought from amazon.

Now after reading amazons return policies(I am sure someone knows more about this than I do) It would seem that If I do not want to pay any shipping/restocking fees I will need to say either, the description on the product does not match the item or this item is defective. However I did more reading and if you put down defective item and they test it and find nothing wrong, they can charge extra restocking fees.

So my idea was to either say that the item does not fit the item description and then type in the box below, that the battery life does not last 12 hours even if I just leave the screen on.. At max it will last 5 hours with the screen being left on. (which is true.) Or I could say it is defective, and give them some bullshit about, 'the screen froze up after 6+ hours of use and only after a week of having it. Today I was trying to do my work with this laptop(for which I bought it) and it blue screened after 7 hours and shut off. I cannot rely on this product.'

What do you guys think? Have any better options or know more about this then I do? A shipping + restocking fee could cost me around 50 to 100 dollars.

Thanks in advanced, tom's hardware community :D

Solution
Is this within 30 days?
If so, Amazon will generally take it back with no question. Free shipping, full refund.
(assuming you bought it from actual Amazon, not an Amazon reseller)

After 30 days?
You have to go through the manufacturer for an RMA.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Is this within 30 days?
If so, Amazon will generally take it back with no question. Free shipping, full refund.
(assuming you bought it from actual Amazon, not an Amazon reseller)

After 30 days?
You have to go through the manufacturer for an RMA.

Solution

Valqor

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Its not only within 30 days but it is within 14 days which has some other significance when it comes to high prices electronics.(I could be wrong about that)

USAFRet

Illustrious

I've never seen anything stating 14 days rather than 30 days.

But...outside of that range, it is between you an the manufacturer.
"I don't like it" may not qualify. Lying about why leads to further charges...shipping both ways.

Valqor

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Talked to an amazon rep and she told me to just process it under item defective and just say it doesn't work as intended, freezes up and the battery life is almost non-existent. So that is what I did. :D Thank you for the answers USAFRet

Status
Not open for further replies.