Best windows 7 laptop for linux

clooner

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello all,

I'm searching for a new laptop and I'm having some difficulties finding what I am looking for.

1. What is your budget?
600-700 usd

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I need a 13-14 inch screen

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't really matter as long as I can hook up my external monitor using hdmi

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need to bring it to many places but also I need it to as a desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?
No high requirements there but 4 hours is what I will need

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I do want to play a game and therefore I want at least a class 2 graphics card, GT 540M or something with similar capabilities.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I need to be able to run linux (ubuntu) on it without much hassle.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
No real high requirements here. I prefer a faster drive then a 5400rpm drive and pref a ssd.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm considering to buy a
Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4830TG-6450 from circuitcity, the only thing is that the hdd it really bad but I'll be able to replace that with an ssd pretty easy. Just don't know about the quality of the acer laptops, always thought they were kinda flimsy.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No requirements here, usb drives work just fine

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I need a laptop that is durable and pref an i5 but I'm not AMD averse also.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
In short I need a 13-14 inch laptop with at least a class 2 graphics card, GT 540M or with similar capabilities. It needs to be fast. pref an i5 and I need to be able to run linux without to much hassle on it. It needs to have hdmi or other external monitor port and it doesn't matter if it is thick or thin.