Better to go with i5 or i7 for video editing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ellindale

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Choosing between an Intel Core i5-2400 Processor (3.10GHz), with a Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card with 512 MB DDR3 dedicated memory,

and an Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor (2.4 GHz), with a Mobile Intel® HD graphics with 64MB-1696MB shared graphics memory,

Which is better for video/photo editing?

The i5 with its 3.10GHz and dedicated graphics card, or the i7 (2.4 GHz) with its hyper-threading capabilities (and integrated graphics card).

The i5 is a desktop, the i7 is a laptop. I will gladly trade mobility for a better graphic editing set up. Both have 6GB memory.

Solution
you should not get a laptop for your professional video editing. its really important that you get a desktop because it will run cooler, faster, and you will have access to much better hardware. You also have more control and more options.

you can set up faster hard drive storage combinations

you can buy better processors

you can fit more ram

you can get better dedicated video cards.

the list goes on.
As someone who edits video as a hobby using Premiere Pro CS6 I agree that a custom build is the way to go. Some cases on the off the shelf computers are not great if you decide to upgrade later. I had a prebuilt HP and it was a nightmare to upgrade. A second (scratch) drive for video files is recommended as well. Personally, I like to know the components inside.

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure the desktop i5 would render stuff twice as fast as the laptop: My friend has exact same CPU in his laptop, and with intel burn test he gets ~30 GFlops, as I with my 2500k @ stock setting without turbo enabled (3.3 GHz) get 75 GFlops.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Looks like someone has resurrected an older thread, but if anyone is looking to build an editing rig;

I'd comment that Premiere CS6 and the other current/new professional NLEs run in 64bit and take advantage of hyper-threading.
When comparing CPUs, be sure to compare the number of processors and cores.
Also note that the bulk of video rendering will be done on the GPU(s), so don't go crazy over the CPU(s) at the expense of your GPU(s).

toyftw

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Hi - if it matters - I went to a PC from my laptop just for photo editing(albeit large files) as the laptop got too hot
after a few min and wouldn't keep up, ie mouse would drag, screen twitch, etc.
I'd have to let it cool down, then resume. And, screen size isn't really suitable for photo work, so I'm
with the other posters, build a PC.

Tom