Beware Of The Evil 'Free Public WiFi'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You should always be careful when accessing "free" wi-fi networks anyway. Hacker will sit in airports and bus stations and configure their laptops to be ad-hoc wireless APs. You can, in fact, access the internet from those connections, but they are capturing all of the packets for analysis and attempting to access your computer at the same time.

drhenks

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
So that's what that is? I've seen that a thousand times at the airport. How has there not been an article about this already?

brainzzzzz...i mean...IPzzzzzzzzz

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]You should always be careful when accessing "free" wi-fi networks anyway. Hacker will sit in airports and bus stations and configure their laptops to be ad-hoc wireless APs. You can, in fact, access the internet from those connections, but they are capturing all of the packets for analysis and attempting to access your computer at the same time.[/citation]
I had this same thought driving into work this morning (not sure why, musta seen Wi-Fi on some billboard or something).

If a store says it offers "Free Wi-Fi", make sure you know what the name of their network is. I know I've seen multiple available networks in various airports and hotels before. Oh, and if you're using XP, upgrade the damn service packs!

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
You'd think that most people in this day and age would have learned to run from anything with the word "Free" involving networks and the internet.

To bad we don't have Natural Selection with viruses and computers. "What dad? You decided to download something on a random website labeled free again? I'm sorry, your surfing habits have been removed from the internet gene pool and you can never get back in again."

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
ruh-roh gang, looks like we have to solve the mystery of the zombie networks! quick, someone get the doobie snacks!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It is only common sense to not connect to any network if you do not know what exactly you are connecting to. I do find this story to be quite amusing however.

[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]ruh-roh gang, looks like we have to solve the mystery of the zombie networks! quick, someone get the doobie snacks![/citation]

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids and that dog too.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
This is pretty much old news anyway. People have been warning of man in the Middle attacks based on "Free public Wifi" for years.

I still see them all over the place in Airports. Perfect place to harvest info and break into people's poorly secured laptops, especially if they can afford laptops and flying.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]ruh-roh gang, looks like we have to solve the mystery of the zombie networks! quick, someone get the doobie snacks![/citation]

[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]This is pretty much old news anyway. People have been warning of man in the Middle attacks based on "Free public Wifi" for years.I still see them all over the place in Airports. Perfect place to harvest info and break into people's poorly secured laptops, especially if they can afford laptops and flying.[/citation]

That`s very true, starbucks is another good example of a good spot. +1

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
There's a network called just that near my university. I know some people that have been tempted to connect to it, but I've told them not to.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
For Windows XP consumers, the problem was addressed in Service Pack 3, however many XP users still haven't updated the OS, leaving the ad hoc problem unaddressed.

Is it really that hard to update your old OS?

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]I still see them all over the place in Airports. Perfect place to harvest info and break into people's poorly secured laptops, especially if they can afford laptops and flying.[/citation]
What does "affording laptops and flying" have anything to do with breaking in to laptops???

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom] Oh, and if you're using XP, upgrade the damn service packs![/citation]
x2, everyone should know by now that Microsoft operating systems are all half-baked public betas. You need at least 3 or 4 service packs to straighten the thing out into a usable final product.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I hate those networks, when I turn on my laptop (with the high gain wifi antenna mod)

In my college, if I turn it on in the lobby, there will be like 50 of those zombie networks. They are annoying to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.