Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 990? (Multimedia)

StevenDB99

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Hi

I´ve narrowed my search to a good pair of headphones down to the Beyerdynamic DT 770´s and 990´s. I´m not quite sure which one of these i´m going to pick.
I know that the 990´s are open-backed and the 770's close-backed, but i'm not able to try them both out to hear the difference.
Which one of these is better suited for all-around purposes (movies, games, music)?
I also want to skype with them, is the sound leakage on the 990's a problem for that?

Thanks in advance.

krustyolddude

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
In regards to open vs. closed, you are better off with closed if you are in a noisy environment. I've used open ones walking to work and can clearly hear traffic etc. (bad for hearing the music but good for being more aware of cars) - may also annoy people in an office/ on transport. I believe open are better in general for sound quality, but it's probably more dependant on the earphone model.

I don't think leakage is a problem for skype - if you have the volume up so loud a mic will pick it up relative to your voice volume then you'll be damaging your ears.

I imagine either pair will be a good purchase, so perhaps keep an eye out for a good deal and spend the money saved on a DAC if you don't have one already - I was surprised how much difference even a cheap-ish soundcard/DAC makes over a standard computer soundcard (I have something like this http://www.fiio.net/en/products/27).

Happy listening!