RussK1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Bitcoin mining with 2 x 6990's.

Is it worth it?

I set up my wallet with Bitcoin and use GUIMiner to mine solo with bitcoin.exe as my server. Not using any extra flags just to keep temps down clocks at stock 830/1250 averaging 300Mhash/s. Can get it up to 365 Mhash/s with flag poclbe -v -w 128.

Also wondering if I set my client up right and what tweaks can be made for better results. If the payback is on the plus I may dedicate this machine to mining and build another machine.

Solution
well what i always did was had my second card on a dumby plug and when i wanted to watch movies and play games just stopped mining on the first card and left the second running.

what i calculated where i live, london, on, canada, our hydro bills are higher now during peak hours but i averaged it out i would make abou8t i think 60$ a month with my card having it run full 24/7 at $10 a bitcoin. i think i averaged $0.09 per killowatt. but ill try and get the link when i get home for the calculator.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
you are only getting up to 365 with both cards?? i can get that much with one 6950 overlocked a bit with flags, dont use poclbe, use phoenix, make a new miner, it is much better. also don't solo mine, wont be worth your time, chances are you wouldn't break a block for well in to 2 months. join a site like btcguild, they have a decent PPS system and also include namecoins in their payouts.

you should be pushing at least 1200mhash with both cards running with overclock and proper flags. if you want the flags im using let me know, ill post um when i get home

RussK1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Yeah no, 365 Mhash/s per gpu X 4 = 1,460 Mhash/s at default clocks. I should have been more specific...

And yes what flag are you running. I've tried a few different one's but poclbe has gotten the best results.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
ill have to grab um when i get home, i had a small group of people that were all running 5800's and 6900's series cards and we all found that phoenix was best with the phatk mod.

with your current hash rate you may be looking at 1 bitcoin every two days. depending on which site you join, averaging 15 a month maybe give or take a couple. and depending on how well the bitcoin stays up you could make a little extra every month.

My one buddy does not pay hydro in his apartment and was running 4 5870's in his server, two 6970's in his main and one 5850 in his girlfriends computer, he was able to make a good 70 bitcoins in about a month and a half, he was luck to save them, we bailed on bitcoin when it dropped to a dollar per bitcoin he just cashed them out when they came back up to $10, was able to pay for his new gtx680 classified.

so they can be worth the effort if you have the hardware and dont need to pay for utilities and if the worth of the coin stays high. lately it has been going up and down drastically so it may be a good time to join a high paying PPS pool.

ASLO - if you search in google for now, you can look up "bitcoin mining hardware comparison", should give you a link to wiki page with a large list of all different hardware and what flags they are running with what miner and what clock speeds. this will help you with tweaking your cards to its fullest, but it does vary from card to card

RussK1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
What's the ratio now? 1 bitcoin to $11 USD? My issue is electricity...

If it's low then it's not worth it. Also what's the best site to sell the bitcoins?

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
ill text my buddy on break and ask him what site he used, i believe they just did a electronic money transfer to his bank.

i have limited search ability here at work, last i checked was a couple weeks ago it was at around $9, you can check on bitcoin charts, or mtgox.

I had just wished i knew about bitcoins before the big issue they had with someone messing up the blockchain and needing to roll back the chain.
bitcoins dropped to pennies then shot back up to $30 a piece....

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
mtgox is the main market for bitcoin, they will always have the latest info on the prices. but looks like preev updates with the current prices every couple seconds so im sure that is also accurate.

you can also look up a bitcoin earnings calculator, cant remember the exact site but it will take in to account how much hydro your computer uses and how much per you pay for hydro and you can put in how much per share you make with hash rate and a time period and it will give you a estimate on how much you can make at the current price

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

looks like that site is for a different currency, linden dollars? never heard of them.

mtgox.com you can trade directly on their site, but i think they take a good chunk of what you trade so sometimes it is not worth it.

RussK1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

Just like any other cash conversion. Got to find a place that pays well and still makes their profit margin. Pawn shops are the places to avoid lol. [:russk1:2]

Needless to say, it's intriguing but just need to find out if it's worth it dedicating my machine because I will.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
well what i always did was had my second card on a dumby plug and when i wanted to watch movies and play games just stopped mining on the first card and left the second running.

what i calculated where i live, london, on, canada, our hydro bills are higher now during peak hours but i averaged it out i would make abou8t i think 60$ a month with my card having it run full 24/7 at $10 a bitcoin. i think i averaged $0.09 per killowatt. but ill try and get the link when i get home for the calculator.

Solution

RussK1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Is it normal to have to open 4 different miners; one for each gpu? Or should GUIMiner be using all 4 gpu's at the same time under one window?

Ex:

Capture-45.png

Untitled-15.jpg

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i dont know how guiminer detects each card being a dual GPU, but for me if i have two cards i need two tabs for each card, so if guiminer views the cards as 4 sperate then you would need 4 tabs, but i think it should read as 2..

i wasnt able to get the site my buddy used or my flags, had to head out right after work. ill see if i can get them tonight.