Review Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition review: Simple but strong

O Bloody Hell

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Sorry, NO. BitDefender is hot stinking garbage.

It keeps getting constant great reviews, which makes me wonder who the heck is getting paid off.

Clearly, the only tests being done are to direct AV function, and not actual real world usage.

No question, AV function is important, but... if you had a piece of software that "ran in the background" but relentlessly put up popups of zero value, which actually did nothing more but crow how wonderful the product was. and STOLE FOCUS so that it interrupted touch-typing and any type of activity not involving screen attention... How good of a product would you consider it to be?

Right. And that's the kind of thing you need to actually test with these things -- USE THEM FOR A MONTH and see what they do that you don't realize when you haven't done that.

Because that is the behavior of BitDefender. It constantly monitors attempted accesses by your browser to a blacklist of bad sites. And this is fine, it should do this.

What it should not do is pop up a notification which steals focus, provides no useful information about the offending tab OR the offending site. All it does it tell you what it did. It promotes itself: "Look what I did for you!!!" Meanwhile, it's disrupted whatever you were doing for 5 to 15s, and this cannot be shut off (I complained to support: No, you cannot stop it).
The popup itself would be fine, but it STEALS FOCUS and KEEPS it for a fixed time period which is far far too long., and so acts as malware, not as a good background program.

Q.E.D., if you install BitDefender, and especially if you are a touch typist, you will want to go ahead and give up your remaining subscription time to rip it out of your toolbox with great vehemence.