Bizarre Gaming Graphical Bugs

SarcasticSoul

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
Not 100% sure where I should post this, but this seems as good a place as any. I've hit a dead end here and I'm starting to get desperate.

I recently got a new Lenovo laptop. Nothing fancy, just a shelf machine from the local Office Depot. My old laptop was a crippled and ancient Alienware that was on its last limb, and its inability to play even the simplest of games was grating on my nerves. My girlfriend helped me get a simple Lenovo with an intel i5 and 6 GB ram to pass the time with while I save for a real gaming rig. It plays some games just fine, but others not so much.

About half the games I try to play suffer from some kind of bizarre graphical error. In Minecraft, the entire screen flashes white repeatedly in a seizure-inducing strobe, Faster Than Light has prompts and HUD elements flicker or just vanish, Neverwinter Nights suffers from menus, prompt windows and the chat bar becoming transparent, and possibly most disturbing of all, in Knights of the Old Republic, character model heads have a tendency to explode into warped, writhing masses of bugged out polygons. Meanwhile, games like Dawngate, League of Legends, and Kingdoms of Amalur run fine with no bugs whatsoever. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which games freak out and which don't.

As I mentioned before, the computer has an Intel i5-4210U processor, and that's about all I know because I have no idea how to find more detailed computer info on Windows 8.1. I know the graphics are onboard, because it's just a shelf machine.

Is this something I can fix, or am I just hosed?

Solution
You may have outdated/incorrect drivers. Go here and click the link to "automatically find drivers":
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/

Which Lenovo laptop is it exactly? Look at the bottom for the exact model number (or underneath the battery in some cases).

Alfrodo

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
You may have outdated/incorrect drivers. Go here and click the link to "automatically find drivers":
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/

Which Lenovo laptop is it exactly? Look at the bottom for the exact model number (or underneath the battery in some cases).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS