Black screen due to driver being incompatible with Windows 10

Viktor_21

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hello,

I've got quite the issue with my craptop, it's quite the long story.

It all began with me wanting to get the Creators Update. I had downloaded the Windows update assistant, got all necessary files and began installation. Laptop froze at 32% and did not move for at least half an hour. I forced shut it down and then Windows was completely broken, obviously. Got a clean install of an older version of Windows 10. All was well until drivers had to be downloaded by the system. All drivers that were downloaded were installed and I was prompted to restart. After the reboot, windows logo passed and I was looking at a completely black screen with not back light at all, no mouse curse, no nothing.
Thought this was due to a fault driver for the Intel HD card however, I was mistaken. It came to be a faulty one for my Nvidia GeForce 635M on a Lenovo G580, Model No: 20150.

Got a new Windows on hand, latest build as far as I know. Running Windows 10, Version 1703, Build 15063.0
Issue is still the same. In order to boot into Windows and actually log on, I had to enter the BIOS and edit the Graphics card options. The only two I've got available are UMA Graphics and Switchable Graphics. Switched to the UMA one in order to actually use my laptop.

I had entered Safe Mode and removed the Nvidia driver that Windows had installed using Guru3D's driver remove tool, downloaded latest driver from Nvidia's website, installed it and then got my next issue.

Logging on, I was welcomed with an error message saying:

nvapi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

I do believe the rest of the message was somewhere between these lines:

Code 31: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. Error status 0xc00012f

Went searching here and there, had a suggestion using SFC scan through CMD, did that and the OS had found nothing. So I have again removed the Nvidia driver and sticking to UMA Graphics until I find a solution for this.

FONZACUS

Prominent
May 16, 2017
windows h8 also had this issue with ancient hardware.

try reinstalling the driver, set the power button to sleep, then wake it up after a few seconds. profit, display driver is now loaded correctly.

Viktor_21

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Screen isn't powering up if I am using the Nvidia card.

FONZACUS

Prominent
May 16, 2017
also happened on my desktop a long time ago. turning on the monitor just puts it to standby mode shortly after. IIRC after the booting process the screen turns off when trying to logon? if so, many others also had the same issue with newer windows faster boot feature.

youve got safe mode as a failsafe just in case too.

Viktor_21

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Indeed, I am able to login through Safe Mode, that's where I managed to install the driver.
Judging by your answer, do you believe Fast Boot could be a probable cause?
Still doesn't explain the error Windows gave me.
Other than that the laptop is completely useless running Switchable Graphics.