Black Screen of Death HELP!!!!

annehoughton38

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I have a Lenovo G50-45 and for the past 2 weeks I have a black screen everytime i turn it on, I can hear the fan going and the lights are flashing telling me that it's turning on.

When it does this it starts to turn itself on and off.
I've tried different solutions from; taking out the battery and plug, holding the power button for a minute, plug it back in then turn it back on, to; plugging it into an external monitor nothing seems to work.

This has happened before;
The first time I only had to wait a couple of hours for it to turn back on,
2nd time: I had to wait 3 hole days for it, this time I left it on all the time and I waited.
This time, I would leave it on all the time but I have classes and so I can't leave it on when nobody is home, it's not safe.

PLEASE HELP!! I have no idea what to do and I'd rather not have to got to the geek squad at Best Buy or anywhere else for that matter and have to pay over $600 for them to fix my laptop. I'd rather not have to get a new one as well as this one cost me about $600 during the New Years sale.

*NOTE* THIS LAPTOP IS ALMOST 3 YEARS OLD****

Solution
It is a bit different with a desktop than a laptop.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

nerdygamer1401

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
ok, this happened to my desktop computer a couple years ago. What happened to be the problem on my system was that my PSU (power supply) was broken, and was not giving the necssisary voltage to the computer. When I replaced it it worked fine.

It is a bit different with a desktop than a laptop.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution