Black screen on Alienware: I don’t know what to do

Jul 24, 2018
I was writing my essay when I needed a break so I simply shut the lid, when I came back five minutes later and opened it the screen was black but the computer was on. I tried to wake it up but it wouldn’t do anything. My brother told me to restart it by pressing the power button. I did as told but the screen is still black and I don’t know what to do!

Solution
Did it actually turn fully off when you pressed the power button? If no, then you will need to get it to shut down first. Then power it back up. This may well make the screen show fine. If that is the case, then once it is running again, try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

OR try this...

Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power...
Did it actually turn fully off when you pressed the power button? If no, then you will need to get it to shut down first. Then power it back up. This may well make the screen show fine. If that is the case, then once it is running again, try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

OR try this...

Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Carefully read all the instructions onscreen.

You may wish to also repeat these instructions, but right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" in Step 3. (if located on your system)

If this doesn't work, you may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website and search their support section and locate any new power management drivers for your laptop make and model.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not remove any ACPI entries. Doing so may disable some of your laptop’s power management features, such as the ability to put it to sleep by pressing the Power button. It is also a tad complicated to reinstall those features, so best to avoid the problem all together.

Now, if you turn it off, fully off, and then back on and the display actually doesn't come on, then try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution