black screen wont boot bios failure

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
I have a Hp pavillion dv4-5113 notebook with a bios caps lock flash error code (2 times). It was very hard to boot it. I used a usb keyboard and after a lot of tries I got the advanced options menu as the machine had an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 free and tried to reset it, tried to access safemode, it failed. Tried automatic repair, got in a never ending loop . Also tried start up menu to roll back the bios but it failed.
The last time I got lucky and got desktop but Win system applications were malfuctioning like device manager. I got a bios update in a usb pen drive and tried to flash it . It looked that is was working but after that I got a restart loop that lasted for one a half hours. I was tired and mad and took out the battery because the notebook wont shutdown...mistake. Now I got a black screen , it wont boot and it wont turn off, it keeps turning on also the HDD led is amber and always on. I went to the support page and it looks that the 3d drive guard got activated but following all the procedures on the support page to disable it wont work. Finally now the caps lock flashes only one time showing a possible cpu malfuction. Is it the cpu, mother board or bios chip? Please help and sorry for my bad writing.

Good day.

Solution
I used very cheap heatgun from china : GJ-8018 it has LCD and some options for temperature. It was decent when i had to remove chips (bios chips, capacitors and resistors, not BGA chips) from the board, but make sure to buy multiple nozzles with decent sizes. It was about 30 euros. More professional reflow you need a station which is expensive.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
It was an educational experience and still is. The usb keyboard issue I got to the conclusion that I was using a desktop dell keyboard that has a lot of hot keys, play, pause, foward and volume media keys, desktop hot keys maybe its very heavy after post to enable on this machine.
I remember I sent you some pics of the laptop keyboard that had what it looks like a white short burn on its ribbon cable.

Anyhow, thank you very much and I learned a lot like as you said to use an eeprom with a soic to flash the bios.

I will post another thread for the gpt Win 10 install, I will srart to work today on it. Also, I'm doing a gpu reflow in another machne so I'll post about that also.

Goid day man and kudos to you.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
"doing gpu reflow" thats one thing i have alot of experience in (amateur stuff)
Before you start doing any reflowing what model and problem is in that laptop? Reflow is kinda temporary solution even if it is the problem and its not fun when it stops working after few weeks so best thing is to atleast confirm this is the problem for sure before attempting it can kill board easily.