Black strip on laptop monitor

ferrislindsay

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
My lenovo c200 3000 laptop has had a problem for some time. During bootup the lenovo logo appears further to the left than it should be. Then in Window (xp) the desktop won't fit the screen at native res (the clock is off the screen). My workaround is to manually size the windows of programmes to fit on the screen. But I was wondering about configuring the registry (or something) or getting a screen utility (like on external monitors) that will change the horizontal settings on the display so that my screen works properly. I wonder if the vga chip (945gm) is messed up (hence the problem starts in the bios). Any ideas.

I don't think it would be something in registry. How long ago did this start? How old is the laptop? Does it run hot? My guess is that it is hardware related, most likely the onboard graphics chip may have been overheated and damaged at some point.

ferrislindsay

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks.
The overheating and damaged chip is a possibility. I don't know how to tell whether this is so. It has run hot in the past but it is only 2 years old. And it works perfectly apart from this.
As for the registry - I wasn't suggesting that the problem was there. I was just wondering whether I could fiddle with the horizontal position (panning??) setting in the registry to force the screen to the left.

Finally I wondered if some pci express graphics card (there is a pci express slot) would bypass the vga chip and solve the problem. Haven't tried that yet.

Thanks again.