BlackBerry Users Restless, Disloyal to Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Jane any idea who the sample size is? I tried following all the links but it's a dead end (you have to sign up for something, aka dead end). It says they sampled people online but where are these people coming from?

Kind of surprised at the lack of Blackberry loyalty. Everyone I know who has one (myself included) is pretty addicted.

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Interesting survey, however every person I know who has a blackberry. Love's it. They don't call them crackberry's for nothing.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Not too surprising; the grass is indeed always greener (unless you are a hopeless Apple fanboy.) I like my blackberry a lot but am certainly always interested in a 'better' phone, if it exists. If the Nexus One were on a decent network it may be a contender. The droid is too much of a hacker toy to take seriously (lose the keyboard); and the iPhone, well, I never was impressed with a flashy UI that didn't actually get anything done.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Survey looks accurate. After having Bold 9700 for few months I'm convinced only thing it can do is email. BB does email better than anyone else, but compared to competition application base is very limited.
No all in one messenger, no voice over IP capability, limited space (only phone memory is used for apps), no decent GPS app, no good ebook reader and list goes on.

oneeyed

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I use the blackberry and I myself am jumping ship once a good Windows 7 Phone comes out. There are many annoyances the BB has regarding how it copy/pastes and does searching or text messages being very slow to load.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I have a blackberry. My first was a 7250 or something my second was an 8703e, third was 8130, fourth was 8330 fifth was 8330 sixth was a storm. Not sure what 7 is gonna be, but im betting a blackberry. I worked at alltel for years. I sold alot of bb's for two reasons. Durable as hell, and good reception.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]Survey looks accurate. After having Bold 9700 for few months I'm convinced only thing it can do is email. BB does email better than anyone else, but compared to competition application base is very limited.No all in one messenger, no voice over IP capability, limited space (only phone memory is used for apps), no decent GPS app, no good ebook reader and list goes on.[/citation]

gps apps, garmen, bb maps (no turn by turn) google maps,
ebook reader. Kindle, barns and noble,
skype was out for blackberry. Until verizon did its skype thing

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]gps apps, garmen, bb maps (no turn by turn) google maps, ebook reader. Kindle, barns and noble, skype was out for blackberry. Until verizon did its skype thing[/citation]

BB Maps and Google are a joke. Have you ever tried using iGo and TomTom? I suggest you give it a try. They also do not require $10 per direction when you are lost in a different country.
I will give kindle a try, thank you. B&N and eReader do not work for my own ebooks. I do have quite a few and would like to transfer them.
Send me a link to Skype please that works on Bold.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
It's interesting to note that the sample had a higher percentage of iPhone users than BB users, even though the BB has almost double the market share.

Anyway, I'm surprised that BB users, which I generally picture as business users, would trade their business tool for a fashion item tied to a crappy network when they could get a stellar Android device on better, more reliable networks.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]noodlegts[/nom]Jane any idea who the sample size is? I tried following all the links but it's a dead end (you have to sign up for something, aka dead end). It says they sampled people online but where are these people coming from?Kind of surprised at the lack of Blackberry loyalty. Everyone I know who has one (myself included) is pretty addicted.[/citation]

"Respondents were recruited across Crowd Science network sites participating in the Crowd Science Sample Beta program. Randomly selected network site visitors over the age of 12 years were presented with an invitation to participate in the survey. Data collection took place from December 24, 2009 to January 21, 2010. A total of 1,140 respondents took part in the survey."

That's about as specific as it gets with regards to where they got the participants from. :(

I hear what you're saying though. Anyone I know with a BlackBerry says they wouldn't give it up. Seems strange.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]gps apps, garmen, bb maps (no turn by turn) google maps, ebook reader. Kindle, barns and noble, skype was out for blackberry. Until verizon did its skype thing[/citation]

Telmap Navigator - works even on my old 8310 and gives excellent worldwide turn-by-turn 3D, 2D or symbol guidance, with voice. All the features I need from a Sat-Nav, I've used it here in the UK and on holiday in Oregon extensively. Unlike the iphone I can still multi-task when it's running too! (handy for checking / writing mail without losing a route if you stop on the way).

I don't know why I'd ever move from my 8310 - it does everything I need it to do (camera, video, Opera web, corporate email / calendar, sat-nav, alarm clock, mp3 player) even though it's a couple of generations old now. Maybe I'll grab a cheap Bold when this one finally breaks - though if they add phone to the PSP as was rumoured a couple of weeks ago... :D

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
wait... so the sampling included ages 12+ ???? well no wonder the results show everyone jumping ship. I cant imagine many teenagers and young twenty year olds wanting to stick with a blackberry when they all think of a phone as a fashion statement or a device for entertainment.

If the survey were to only include businessmen/women, I think the results would show that most BB users are very loyal.

G

Been a BB user for years. It is still king of business/email. The allure of other phones is overrated. People need flashy toys to make themselves feel better. All these new phones hardly do anything revolutionary without sacrificing some of the simple stuff (like poor battery life.)

Apps? Ok fine. But who really uses a lot of that junk? And if I wanted to play games, I would carry a PSP or DS around too.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Nokia user. I'm using a Nokia E71, the Blackberry ripoff, and it has pretty poor basic functions (email, text and calls) but Apps, ergonomics, keyboard, and the fact it runs off of Symbian is why I would pick it over BB. I would only go Nokia/Symbian or Andriod. But until I find an andriod with my exact requirements, that the E71 fills, I will stick with it.
It's rare to see people who consider themselves tech knowing who use a Nokia optionally, but my needs are rather specific due to my lifestyle...

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have been using a BB Bold 9000 since it came out. I used to love the phone, but "Survey says...." ding ding ding I am switching when the next iPhone comes out.
CTPAHHIK was correct in his statement. Very few apps and none seem to be very good. The memory gets used up quickly (about 8 apps installed. I have AT&T and they disable BB Maps and force AT&T Navigator on you for $15/month (i use Google Maps). The phone is really on good if you like to message.
BB Messenger is cool as long as you know people with a BB (I know 1 person). The e-mail is fantastic.
The web-Browser is HORRIBLE. I generally just end up waiting until I get to a pc to get on the net its so bad.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]"A total of 1,140 respondents took part in the survey."[/citation]

So this means:
194 iPhone users
171 Blackberry users
114 Nokia users
46 Windows users
34 Android users
23 Palm users

I don't much like this sample size seeing as I have had classes with more people in them than the entire sample group. When you assume that almost every person between the ages of 20 and 65 (I know it's more) has a cell phone, be it regular or smart phone, you're getting into the realm of hundreds of millions of users in the US alone. If the sample size was in the tens of thousands then maybe this survey might mean something, but here I just see a small group that doesn't really tell you anything.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm still happy with my BB 8350i Curve. But I'm not one of those that constantly play with their phone like it's a toy. I have push 2 email, push 2 talk, can send pictures and files, have an adequate camera, play mp3's and can send and receive text messages. What more do I need? Before this one I used the RIM 7100 and if it could play mp3s and had a camera I'm probably still be using it.
Google maps is good enough for me to get around with on a daily basis and if I'm out of town I use a tom tom. Everyone has become a app/gadget freak these days. And how many people really surf the web on their phone? Be truthful.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]"Respondents were recruited across Crowd Science network sites participating in the Crowd Science Sample Beta program. Randomly selected network site visitors over the age of 12 years were presented with an invitation to participate in the survey. Data collection took place from December 24, 2009 to January 21, 2010. A total of 1,140 respondents took part in the survey."That's about as specific as it gets with regards to where they got the participants from. I hear what you're saying though. Anyone I know with a BlackBerry says they wouldn't give it up. Seems strange.[/citation]

I couldn't find that info but if it's 12+ that seems a little skewed, at least for my tastes. Being a professional using a Blackberry for mainly work, any opinions from ages 12 to about 24 are basically worthless to me. At that age I probably would like the flash of an iPhone...

That being said, been using an 8830 World Edition for years now and it's been very good for business and (some) personal use. The internet browser really sucks though.

teslaxero

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
No question about it... I build and program freaking computers and I can't figure out my wifes Blackberry. You need a second degree just to make a phone call. Ever tried to delete an email account from one of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.