Block malicious Edge browser redirects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimsom_247

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
When using Win10 Microsoft Edge browser to visit certain webpages I am redirected to malicious and ransomware web pages without my consent. There does not seem to be any provision within the Microsoft Edge browser to block malicious redirects or to include a black list of web pages to be avoided. I guess that updating the Hosts file could be the prime solution.

I note that HostsMan freeware could be used to block malicious Edge redirects by updating the Win10 Hosts file. Does anyone know that if HostsMan or an alternative is the preferred solution to block unwanted Microsoft Edge browser redirects?

Thank you in anticipation. Kind regards.

Colif

Distinguished
tried running adwcleaner or Malwarebytes and clean them off PC?

I would suggest using UBlock Origin on edge but it isn't on the store and though there was talk of an edge version, I can't find it anywhere. You can run Adblocker on it, it might block the redirects. Also look into Ghostery on edge...

I don't use edge because it won't let me use Ublock Origin. UO would likely block access to all of this stuff, or maybe entire web site involved. I can't even go to download.com.

Crimsom_247

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello Colif, thank you for your prompt response. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium) is installed and thankfully most of the time says that my PC is not infected. However, Malwarebytes does not always block all redirects to malicious and ransomware web pages. So I am looking for the preferred solution to block unwanted Microsoft Edge browser redirects. Kind regards.

Colif

Distinguished
download ghostery for edge, its on the extensions page, it should help you block unwanted objects on web sites. It might stop the redirects.

what anti virus are you running, I use bitdefender and it may also be blocking things. I run scans of PC and only things it finds is random ads from the few times i look on edge

Crimsom_247

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello Colif, I have visited the Ghostery web page, but it says that it is a browser extension that helps you to manage website trackers. The Ghostery tour says nothing about blocking unwanted Microsoft Edge browser redirects to malicious and ransomware web pages. I use :-
a) Spybot - Search & Destroy and this removes website trackers.
b) Windows Defender and it says that my PC is not infected.
c) Belarc Advisor to see if the ransomware has added unwanted accounts and it has not.
d) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium) and thankfully most of the time it says that my PC is not infected.

Updating the Hosts file seems to be the prime solution. Kind regards.

Crimsom_247

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Updating the Hosts file to block the original redirect instruction(s) would be ideal.
Does anyone know how to find the original redirect instruction that is included within the hijacked web page?
Is there freeware that reveals redirect instructions?
Thank you in anticipation. Kind regards.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
I do not doubt that your PC is clean, but for assurance, after updating hosts files, you could start your PC in "Safe mode with networking" and do a full system scan. Start with RKill, it will kill any malicious services if there are any. Afterward, scan with Windows Defender for viruses. Next, scan with Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro and ADWCleaner (General rule of thumb, you can't trust 1 anti-malware. No matter how reliable it claims to be). Malwarebytes never failed me, but I sometimes do more than one scan with multiple software. Finally, restart your PC in normal mode and check if everything is clear. If all of the scans came clean, you should be safe then.

Crimsom_247

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello mdd1963, I remember these very useful web pages before they were hijacked.

Hello JoshRoss, I endeavour to keep my PC clean and have also used other software including hitmanpro_x64, Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan, HijackThis.

Thanks for the discussion, but updating the Hosts file with the original malicious redirect would be the ideal solution.

All I seem to see are the third party redirects and ransomware without seeing the original redirect source. The long list of third party redirects would be significantly reduced if I could block the original redirect source. But how does one reveal the original redirect source that has been put into the webpage script? Does anyone use freeware to reveal redirect instructions? Thank you in anticipation. Kind regards.

Crimsom_247

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello mdd1963, thank you for the recommendation to use Ublock Origin (free) from google store. There is a Ublock Origin for Microsoft Edge and this was installed by Microsoft Store. The initial results are impressive. Ublock Origin is blocking redirects in the background and its function can be disabled/enabled. Many thanks. Kind regards.

Crimsom_247

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello Colif, in your first reply you said "I would suggest using UBlock Origin on edge but it isn't on the store and though there was talk of an edge version, I can't find it anywhere.".

Hello mdd1963, in your second reply you said "Just installed/tested Ublock Origin (free) from google store for Chrome. . .".

The mdd1963 second reply made Crimsom_247 research Ublock Origin and go to Wikipedia > GitHub > Microsoft Store > download/install Ublock Origin for Microsoft Edge. So it was Crimsom_247 that found that there is a Ublock Origin version for Microsoft Edge!

Crimsom_247 can only give credit to one Best Answer, so the second mdd1963 reply got the nomination. Sorry Colif, please recall that in your first reply you said that you could not find the edge version of Ublock Origin anywhere, so that is the reason why the mdd1963 second reply got the nomination. Kind regards.

Colif

Distinguished
I am not arguing but I answered the question how you stated it, you were after help with Edge, so I offered you things that fixed Edge. I could have easily said use Chrome with Ublock Origin (as that is what I am using now) but a lot of people who ask here want to use the browser they are using now, and suggesting Chrome is not the answer they want to hear. So I didn't offer it... even when I knew it was a solution.

But I am not arguing, I know I specified Ublock on Edge and it is not on that store, its on every other browser store though (or at least, its on Opera, Firefox & Chrome add on stores). It is meant to be on Edge but its not.

Shortly Chrome will have the function built in but I bet that won't block their ads. Hope they don't block the current ones from working with chrome or I will be using Firefox again.

Status
Not open for further replies.