Blockbuster Closing up to 960 Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
They're doomed. With downloadable media and Netflix service available, their business model simply can't compete on price or convenience.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I haven't set foot in a video rental store in a number of years now.

I also agree with the above post about crappy copies of movies. I'm amazed how many people enjoy low quality videos these days.

But with netflix streaming HD over an xbox360, I assume it makes things a lot more convenient. Wasn't blockbuster going to stream on something? I already forgot what it was :/

endif

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I cancelled my cable TV with Fios and am paying for Netflix on my xbox instead. $60 a month for crappy on demand vs $9 decent on demand. Although I am not a huge TV watcher others may justify the $60.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
No, bail them out! Does anyone remember when BlockRuster got rid of late fees? (granted, they replaced them for similar priced "restocking fees"if you didn't bring the movie back on-time, but at least it wasn't a "late fee") They did that for us, the loyal consumers. WE must now help them out so their employees will not be on the streets, murdering people to support their drug habits. BlockRuster must persist so that Hollywood studios can continue to shaft online content providers by withholding new releases to brick and mortar outlets. Won't someone think of the children!

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Internet is killing the movie renting business... a little normal since internet give you access to the international market which I highly love. The last good american movie I really loved was Gran Torino... easily the best film of Clint Eastwood.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
YAY!! Brick and mortar movie rental places are dissapearing thanks to online rentals and rentals via the mail.

They are getting what they deserve for charging $9 to rent a game.
F*** THAT! I never rented from them because it's such a rippoff. The only use a place like that has: .... old movies that you can't seem to find at these online rental sites or on the PS3

bigalfantasy2004

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Back in the 1980s I remember smaller video rental stores coming and going quicker than the blink of an eye. How Blockbuster lasted this long I'll never know?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The only good thing about BlockBuster and Hollywood video is they have a bigger selection than RedBox. Netflix has an even bigger selection (though I don't watch enough movies to justify a monthly subscription), and RedBox carries all new-releases for $1 a night. Really, there's no reason left to go to a movie rental store, especially when some of the older gems you might go there to rent are probably available in the Wal-Mart $5 bin for purchase (rentals are what, $3.99 or $4.99 for 3-5 days now?).

Sorry Blockbuster, but instead of ignoring Netflix when they came out, you should have jumped on that bandwagon. You could have easily outdone Netflix with your existing studio partnerships and vast resources. And who wouldn't have minded a Blockbuster kiosk at their local McDonalds, rather than having to drive farther to the 1 Blockbuster store in their neighborhood.

Speaking of bad business decisions, anyone remember those Blockparty chains? Their spectacular failure makes me wonder how Dave and Buster's seems to do so well.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Internet is killing the movie renting business... a little normal since internet give you access to the international market which I highly love. The last good american movie I really loved was Gran Torino... easily the best film of Clint Eastwood.[/citation]

I'll have to disagree with you, the best was Fistful of dollars

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
There have been two instances recently where I was watch a Netflix rental DVD of a television series. I watched the whole DVD, but was dying to see what happens next, so off I went to the video store. One was a Hollywood Video, the other a Blockbuster. In both cases, they didn't have the series at all. And these were not obscure titles, one was 24 season 7, the other was The Shield season 7 (so much for lucky number 7).

At any rate, after that I pretty much wrote off brick-and-mortar video stores. I agree with the previous posters who declared them DOA.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I remember when I was younger, went to a Blockbuster to watch a film we all wanted to see. It'd be expensive and inconvenient, because we had to drive 3 miles to get there to then have to rent it, then drive 3 miles back to it. Then came along the internet. To begin with, it was all piracy, because we could get it on demand, but not for a fair price legally. Now, I don't bother pirating films. It's too easy to get them cheap, legally and quickly, all without having to visit a Blockbuster. The atmosphere in that place was awful too. Very mass-produced and unfriendly.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
We've stopped going to BB because of the $4-6 movie rentals - at least for some of their locations. Another location we used to go to was less than $2 for a week (franchized store), which if kept that long made it cheaper than Redbox. So I agree, unless they lower prices for rentals, they're not going to stick around much longer.

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Those Red Box DVD rental stations at grocery stores are a huge hit. A buck to rent a movie for a day. And Netflix is dominating this area as well. Sorry Blockbuster.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Yup since Blockbuster hardly carries anything more then the redboxes wats the point of even going to the store? Who goes to blockbuster to get anything but a new release? Thats wat the local video store is for. Though that is going the way of the dinosaur to. Have a great vid store with about every film known to man, actually there are two of em in my town and about half a dozen redboxes. Bye Bye blockbuster.

Status
Not open for further replies.