Blockbuster Officially Files for Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Is anyone really surprised by this? When you charge out the @$$ for a rental that you can either get cheaper elsewhere (Family Video), obtain digitally (Netflix Instant, other sources), or get as part of a subscription (ummmm... Netflix agfain), who would want to shop at a Blockbuster? I always hated those stores...

G

This is one of those "Thank God" events. Whoever runs -- excuse me -- ran that company should be pelted with broken-hinged jewel cases. From the horrible check-out lines (once-upon-a-time) to the inexcusable inability to recognize Netflix ascendancy, to the failure even to recognize the potential of a niche market with non-mainstream movies... Goodbye; you will not be missed. "Cranky Business Rules!"

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]fball922[/nom]Is anyone really surprised by this? When you charge out the @$$ for a rental that you can either get cheaper elsewhere (Family Video), obtain digitally (Netflix Instant, other sources), or get as part of a subscription (ummmm... Netflix agfain), who would want to shop at a Blockbuster? I always hated those stores...[/citation]

Not at all. They need to compete with Netflix, that's it. If they cannot do that.... (survival of the fittest).

danhitchcock

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
hah what an interesting coincidence. The bottom of the page says
"
Google Ads

Netflix® Official Site
Just $8.99 a month. No Late Fees. Over 100k titles - Free Trial.
www.Netflix.com
"

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Hastings is my rental place in town. Smaller company I think, but quite frankly they have more movies in stock than any local Blockbuster I ever lived nearby. Plus they sell music, books, and other things.

Plus, if you return the movie the very next day, you get like a $2.00 credit toward your next rental. I get free movie rentals all the time this way. AND, very few times have they been completely out of stock on a movie when I wanted it, because people bring them back next day.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I think that Blockbuster might be too late to adequately start competing with Netflix and Redbox. They have a brand name that is associated with overpriced rentals, poor selection, and late fees. Too little too late Blockbuster.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Ironic that picture is, where it has a Now Open Sign[/citation]

...and an empty parking lot.

I'm not surprised, Blockbuster was big in the 90s, but really didn't roll with the times, staying with high priced movies when they want to sell them. $49 for Disney's Hercules?? Ugh.

Netflix swooped in and ate their lunch.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Blockbuster would be best off selling its stores to netflix and throwing in the towel. Seriously its not like anyone will notice when they are gone.

Now to hijack this thread..
Do a goole image search for Jane, isn't she a cutie!! Ok, here come the weird part. Why does the map icon in the images have a caption of "FamileMap: Stalk People"

Jane do you have a throng of personal stalkers?

failboat

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I like how they are still in business. Sorry, investors. We are calling off the debt... We continue, but you lose your investment. But, hey, if your on the A list; we will give you a small portion of our bad company.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i personally still go in to Blockbuster every once in a while (once every other month) its nice to go in a get a movie on the spur of the moment. and most of the movies i want redbox does not have. it will be interesting to see what happens with the "by mail" business model if the usps request to limit there delivery service to 5days a week.

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2010/pr10_031.htm

anyone know what came of that?

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
It was about time. They became too greedy and rather than working with people, they decided to start ripping them off.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I don't get it where i live there is 1 blockbuster it is always empty i can pay $7.99 for 1 movie or go across the street and get 4 for $4.99 , the problem is they are a dinosaur and if you can't evolve you are going to go extinct.
I can rent movies much cheaper anywhere else i have no reason to rent from blockbuster, i use to have a membership but the prices kept climbing.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
holy crap these adds are annoying. request captcha to post.

I never liked blockbuster because they had a "We don't have it in. Now ah heck off attitude." Not to mention they don't have half the stuff in their stores. I may just as well wait two days to get it from Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.