Bloomberg: MSFT to Pay $1bn in WP7/Nokia Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I have been in IT for over 15 years. And this is the first time I can say Microsoft is out of Ideas.
I think it is time to upgrade that linux cert. I can see MS loosing it domanince in the next few years. Although Apple is good maybe great, it is not a networking OS. But it would not take much to change the minds of many admins, after all it is unix.
As for Microsoft, Bill where are you, Ballmer is making MS a comical buzz word.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]I have been in IT for over 15 years. And this is the first time I can say Microsoft is out of Ideas.I think it is time to upgrade that linux cert. I can see MS loosing it domanince in the next few years. Although Apple is good maybe great, it is not a networking OS. But it would not take much to change the minds of many admins, after all it is unix. As for Microsoft, Bill where are you, Ballmer is making MS a comical buzz word.[/citation]
For someone who has been in IT for 15 years you are making a hell of a leap from desktop to mobile OS there.
Where exactly do you see it as a bad idea for MS to try and leverage its new mobile OS by tying in an exclusive deal with a firm that a currently still the worlds biggest single provider of mobile phones?

The alternative is this - Nokia continues with fragmented products and an OS that has been almost totally wiped off the map, or tries Android and becomes just another Google phone with a saturated segment and no market differentiation.

The same applies to Microsoft, they continue as an OS provider to several other manufacturers who have already thrown in their lot with Android so again have to work in a saturated segment and no market differentiation.

OK, there is plenty of opportunity for both sides to fail with this deal, but without it failure is guaranteed.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Wow that is a ridiculous amount to pay. What is Microsoft's estimate on how long it will take to recoup that cost?

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
My point is they are out of idesa. they missed the phone market, they are not leverageing in they are trying to buy there way in.
There was a time when admins alike and people in general could not waite for MS to make a anouncement. Now its just another failure. Unlike many people trying to cool by saying they hate windows or Microsoft. I like them. Windows has it issuem=, but it works. I started out in solaris and saw it fall to windows and now, windows will not fail but, I have to see the writing on the wall. Microsoft is. Again. I said nothing about the phone market, I said they are out of ideas.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Wow that is a ridiculous amount to pay. What is Microsoft's estimate on how long it will take to recoup that cost?
Depends on the number of phones they sell. I'd guess about 2 years if it's just phones. But MS will make money on any patents that Nokia has included in the deal, so that will probably be significantly less time.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
If MS would only open up the Apps portion of their phone to more devs. Paying a yearly fee to write apps is something to do "after" they have a nice chuck of the market. Cut some deals with Square Enix, EA, etc and get some good games on there.

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Google wasn't going to pay them a billion, they needed the cash, M$ needed more good phones. I can see why this happened. (not to mention M$ is a sucker for friends with benefits (patents)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
surely the deal will be mutually beneficial to both companies. MS got instant market share, access to Nokia's patents and will recoup the money from each license sold. Nokia got an OS that is not Android. hell freezed over before when MS offered $100M to invest in Apple when Apple was in tougher times.

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Yes, Nokia probably would have felt more lonely doing a deal with google, (sleeping lonely vs not sleeping) in a relationship with microsoft...

G

@jdamon113

yeah nice idea, lets just hand over our corporate cloud control to Apple..... im sure it wont take much to convince them that

Have you even tried WM7, sure it's not a spectacular OS and it might not be as polish as iOS but it's not far off, and im pretty sure MS have already planned for corporate controlled cloud environment, after all it's probably going to plug directly into MS server, just cause it dont sparkle dont mean it's not workable, heck win98 was poooo but it still got adopted via the corporate for a limited time

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]My point is they are out of idesa. they missed the phone market, they are not leverageing in they are trying to buy there way in.There was a time when admins alike and people in general could not waite for MS to make a anouncement. Now its just another failure. Unlike many people trying to cool by saying they hate windows or Microsoft. I like them. Windows has it issuem=, but it works. I started out in solaris and saw it fall to windows and now, windows will not fail but, I have to see the writing on the wall. Microsoft is. Again. I said nothing about the phone market, I said they are out of ideas.[/citation]

I don't see how anyone can say this is a bad idea. Just because you've been an IT Tech for 15 years doesn't mean that knowledge carries over to business.

Windows Mobile's problem has always been distribution and getting manufacturers to get the products out there. The platform itself is very good. Once it gets ground it will get even better because as it becomes more and more successful Microsoft will always invest more into it. Nokia is the key. Symbian was/is dead.

The best hardware manufacturer with the best software developer. Nobody said this partnership wasn't a risk. But you can't have rewards without it.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Good point. But again, I said MS is out of ideas. To me this looks like desporation.
Lets face it. A billion dollars, they should be able to build the whole platform for the ground up.
And yes just becasue I have been in IT for 15+ years. I have seen a lot of changes.
What we haven't seen is Microsoft looking desporate. I stand my ground this will fail, Balmer is a idiot. Other than that. I like MS a lot and hope they find they way back.

G

Hmm, I don't understand why everyone is so hard on Microsoft. They've been coming out with great products (Windows 7, Xbox 360, Zune). Even Microsoft's antivirus software is pretty good actually.

I don't personally own a Windows Phone 7, but I have played around with it a bit. It's very polished and unlike Android, it's guaranteed upgradeable (they'll sort out the problems with the Focus), hardware accelerated (sooooo much smoother than Android), and it has Zune and Xbox functionality built. It seems to me that Microsoft is leveraging their other great consumer products into a very good smart OS. Not too mention that Microsoft owns when it comes to corporations.

FYI, I picked out an Android phone (Galaxy S) for my wife and I currently own an iPhone 3g. I want a Windows Phone 7 next but I want to see newer hardware.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
rryan to answer, its not that everyone is hard, or at least this is my take.
when you have Three of the wealthest people in the world because on one company. You all ready know they have money... and yes MS has money. But they are not doing well with it.
They make software, so when they do so it should be great from the start. that is what they do.
They have thousands of developers, this phone thing should be a blink of the eye. But this is what happens when companies forget there roots.

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]Good point. But again, I said MS is out of ideas. To me this looks like desporation. Lets face it. A billion dollars, they should be able to build the whole platform for the ground up.And yes just becasue I have been in IT for 15+ years. I have seen a lot of changes. What we haven't seen is Microsoft looking desporate. I stand my ground this will fail, Balmer is a idiot. Other than that. I like MS a lot and hope they find they way back.[/citation]

For someone who has been in IT for 15+ years it seems very odd that you still use a browser with no spell check.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
One billion is chicken shit for Nokia which lost about 5 billion value with this whole MS/WP7 strategy change which might be catastrophic for Nokia. M$ is the only one who benefits from this deal which is pretty obvious. Without Nokia deal, WP7 would be buried by iOS, Android and Meego.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well only time will tell, i think my n8 will be the last nokia for me might need to go android. hate the look of windows os on the phones. and the xbox crap you get only make me feel sick. but it can be a good combo

Status
Not open for further replies.