Blu-ray Jumping to 33.4 GB Per Layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I think Blu ray came just too late. In a few years everything will be heading to streaming and downloadable content. However it's nice to see that they are expanding on existing technology to get a few more GB.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]I think Blu ray came just too late. In a few years everything will be heading to streaming and downloadable content. However it's nice to see that they are expanding on existing technology to get a few more GB.[/citation]

The day ISP's stand up and say "No More CAPS! Never AGAIN!!!" is when Internet Streaming will take hold and we can count the days down til the end of hard disks.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]You do realize that 80% of them won't have a clue on how to do this, right?[/citation]
80% of Blu-ray drives are PS3s and maybe SONY has something up its sleeve.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]The day ISP's stand up and say "No More CAPS! Never AGAIN!!!" is when Internet Streaming will take hold and we can count the days down til the end of hard disks.[/citation]
Does the date that event falls on happen to be Dec 21, 2012?

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]I think Blu ray came just too late. In a few years everything will be heading to streaming and downloadable content. However it's nice to see that they are expanding on existing technology to get a few more GB.[/citation]

...LMAO. dozens of these comments always show up on any blu-ray article. I don't want to spend 10 hours downloading on hd movie. i'd also like to own physical copies that won't get erased by a corrupt/failed hard drive. when i buy a tv season, its nice having everything on 1 disc versus 8. just watched district 9 on blu ray and bought it for $20 bucks so even the prices of SOME movies have gone down.

G

I'd love to see dual layer, dual side BlueRay that could back up a machine on just one archive disk. Cloud trends are great but I want archives in a vault under my control in addition to cloud services and I don't want a massive stack of DVD Rs.

metalst0rm

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
@botjam

Current Blu Ray technology is capable of 8 layers on a single side which equates to 200GB of data storage, however, those capacities above 50GB are only for commercial use and it will be some time before a recordable 100GB or 200GB version become available.

fatedtodie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Flash thumbsticks and SB cards are SLOW. They will not be replacing even DVDs anytime soon. a 16x DVD beats the fastest SDHC card (seeing as SDXC is still years away from the 104mb/s "theoretical" speed it is ignored for now). Blu-ray is about speed, and smoothness. It beat HD-DVD which was cheaper due to several factors one being Blu-ray's scratch resistant coating.

SD Cards are nice Flash Drives are nice, but until they compete versus a stand-alone blu-ray player with no hiccups there is no benefit. I look forward to the day I can have ALL my movies LEGALLY on a small card or two I can carry in my wallet with a backup somewhere in case I get mugged. Unfortunately we aren't anywhere near that yet. So I try to live in the real world not in "what could be" or "what should be"-land.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Blu-Ray is going to be totally irrelevant once flash memory prices fall low enough. I'd say in 2-3 years flash will be so cheap Blu Ray will already be outdated.[/citation]
Also agreed. Optical disks have been around since 1978; Over 30 years. The only technology I can think of that's been milked harder is the internal combustion engine.
That said, there are still a few benefits that optical disks can offer that flash memory cannot. They are waterproof, dirt-proof (can be washed), and when the massive EMP hits in 2012, they will be impervious to the magnetic energy whereas flash memory will be wiped.
Silly as that sounds, I do backup my photos to DVD occasionally and stash them in a fire box. Peace of mind.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Everyone assumes that the entire planet is blanketed in high-speed internet access, which just isn't true. I had to go with EVDO cellular internet because there is no cable where I live (there is 2 miles down the road, but don't get me started) and no DSL. I don't even bother trying to stream because I'm constantly buffering.

I do agree that I think some sort of flash memory will probably overtake optical at some point, or some technology similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.