Blu-rays won't play on HTPC: Realtek HD Audio Manager & TMT3

jim97219

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014
I'm having trouble getting a Blu-ray disc to play on my HTPC. I'm running Total Media Theater Platinum 3 through WMC and wiith a disc playing and I'm getting sound but no picture. When I right-click on the screen, Title and Chapter are both grayed out. I'm sure it has to do with Realtek's HD Audio Manager (ALC889/driver version 6.0.1.6767 but I can't figure it out.

When I go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Realtek HD Audio Manager, there are five options, Digital Output (default device), Digital Output (optical), CD Audio (default device), Stereo Mix and Digital Input

When I go to Control Panel/Hardware&Sound/Sound-Manage Audio Devices, there are four options, Pioneer VSX-1124, speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio/"not plugged in"), Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio/default device) and Realtek Digital Output(optical) Realtek High Definition Audio/Ready. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the Realtek drivers, to no avail.

My setup is this:
Gigabyte H55M-USB3 motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate
Pioneer VSX-1124-K
Soundcard is onboard audio only
and it's connected HTPC==>HDMI==>Pioneer VSX-1124-K==>HDMI==>Sony 46W-3000

If I route it like this,
HTPC==>HDMI==>Sony 46w-3000==>optical==>Pioneer VSX-1124-K
I can at least see the opening screen and I get sound but the Play button, etc., doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Moving to Home Theater forum.

The first thing I'd ask is if this is a newish Blu-Ray movie you're trying to watch. If it is, do older Blu-Ray movies still work? To me, this sounds more like a software (TMT3) issue and perhaps a simple update might resolve the issue. Check to see if any updates are available for your software.

-Wolf sends

Note: I mean free software updates/patches and not paid for upgrades.

Well, Frozen is new enough that I might expect a software update might resolve the issuem but Burn After Reading is from 2008 and TMT3 should be able to play that without issue by now.

Assuming that you've previously been able to play Blu-Ray discs (please confirm), then your set up of your HTPC --> Receiver --> HDTV all via HDMI should still work.

Are you currently able to play ANY Blu-Ray discs?

-Wolf sends

jim97219

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014

Yes, I've been able to play them before. Long story but had to reload Realtek and therein lies the problem. I can't find the original disc that came with the motherboard so thiedriver I'm using is from Gigabyte's website. What's strange is that Speakers isn't an option in Realtek nor is the receiver. That's what's making me thing the problem lies with Realtek and not TMT.