Blue Screen Sony Vaio

TheJudge6070

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
My Sony Vaio VPCEH got the blue screen today for the first time...so I started to back up my photos, etc. Well when I was about done...the whole labtop shut off and won't start up now. No lights or anything.

Says kernel-data-inpage-error

Any ideas what it could be?

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
a kernel in page error means a driver could not read from storage for some reason.
this can because it used a bogus memory address or their is a problem with reading a from a drive.

it can even mean that a drive went to sleep and did not wake up.

was there a memory dump produced?
look in c:\windows\minidump for files with a .dmp extension. if you find one, copy it to a server like microsoft onedrive or mediafire and post a link

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
the 100 means it was 100% complete in saving it to disk. it should be in c:\windows\minidump directory by default.
you can copy it to a server after you reboot your machine. copy it to mediafire or maybe microsoft onedrive and make the file public and post a link.

TheJudge6070

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
Well I did the chkdsk c: f/ c/ and restarted and it's still checking stuff..

i have to say....it's saying it's replacing a lot of bad clusters....ALOT OF BAD CLUSTERS.

so....I read up about it...doesn't seem good.

Wonder if I need to get a new hard drive?

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
it depends on the version of windows you use, the age of the hard drive and the reason for the bad clusters.
With windows 7 and a older spinning hard drive you have to fully format the drive to fix a hard drive.
windows 8 will look for and repair/move data from bad sectors on a drive while the system is idle.
spinning hard drives have a high failure rate, something like 25% the first year and 15% a year until they are dead. if you do get a replacement look for a solid state drive, they will give your system a good boost and if they do fail there is a good chance you can still read the data (just not write)

TheJudge6070

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015

Its a windows 7 version. 2009 model sony vpceh or whatever model vaio.

the hard drive isn't full I have like 355 mb free out of 455 or so

ffg7

Splendid
unless your laptop can get handle 2 hard drives then don't get a ssd drive. if can handle 2 drive then use the ssd for windows & the mechanical for your programs & data..more likely you have 355gig free out of 455gig tho that is actually a 500 gig hard drive.