Blue Yeti High Pitched Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackiekan

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
I'm not sure how to explain it. When recording with my Blue Yeti in any recording program (I primarily use Audition CC), there is this very high pitched and very annoying white noise, it's very obvious in the audio file I'll link below. Although you might have to turn up your volume in order to hear it. (The fan isn't what I mean). This happens on both my laptop and desktop.

https://db.tt/g6U9qIc7

I'm not sure if this is useful at all, but this is what the waveform looks like:
http://prntscr.com/76vb1i

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Do you have any powerful broadcasting devices nearby, such as a cell phone? Don't think that would cause it but it is worth a try. I just recorded some samples with mine with maximum gain and didn't get any of that electrical noise.

jackiekan

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

My phone was off at the time, I also tried turning the internet off, but there was no change. Whether the gain dial is set all the way down or all the way up doesn't seem to effect the noise.

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah I don't know I've never run into any issues like that with mine. I used to get that type of noise when I had an analog output on my old mic.

Speaking of analog outputs, are you using the Yeti Pro with the XLR output perhaps?

jackiekan

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

No, just the basic one. Well, Blackout technically, but that's just a different color.

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Ok so I looked at the first few google searches and it seems like this is a very common issue. You can check the search out yourself. https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+yeti+high+pitch+whine

The most common cause from the few links I checked out was simply interference from nearby electronics with the cable (as it is quite long).

ed: it just occurred to me but have you checked in your computer's BIOS to see if Spread Spectrum is enabled? Same with your laptop. When enabled it reduces the EMI generated by your computers on a specific frequency. I hope it helps you, but if all else fails I would try to get a replacement then work from there.

jackiekan

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

I can't seem to find spread spectrum in my bios.

thatfatdood

Estimable
May 29, 2015
I have the Blue Yeti as well, using Adobe Audition, and I have the exact same problem. It's been a nightmare.

I've looked everywhere, and tons of people have had the exact same problem.

I tried buying a USB powered hub, and that didn't work. I tried turning off all other electronics and wireless signal emitters, and that didn't work. I also tried using another computer and going to another location, and that didn't work either.

The only thing that seemed to have an effect on the annoying high-pitched noise was changing USB cables. I tried using a shorter cable, and the whine was reduced, but it's still there and still very noticeable. I read about people who have used shielded USB cables to try to fix the problem, and they said this didn't work (though I haven't tried a shielded cable.)

This has been a nightmare. I'm just about to sell my Blue Yeti and just get another mic that doesn't suck.

UPDATE: So it turns out I've been using the wrong cable. I was using another USB cable, and I had thought it was the original that came with the Yeti, but it wasn't. I found the original cable and used it with the mic, and the whining is TOTALLY GONE (I also am using a USB powered hub so that might make a difference too). So I'd recommend try another cable and see if that makes a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.