Bluetooth: Broadening the distance that can be covered

Ronpia

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Does anyone here also thinks of broadening the distance that can be covered by the bluetooth of our devices? I just think that if it is possible. If messaging can reach the whole country, it can be possible for bluetooth. Right? Need your opinions. Thank you. :)

Cellphone towers pay the government for exclusive use of radio frequencies, power levels that would be illegal for normal citizens, and they have fibre backhaul between towers.

You might be able to extend bluetooth a little with good antennas. Don't expect to get from one side of a parking lot to the other.

Ronpia

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

Does building a tower for bluetooth will work? Thanks.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
The bluetooth spec is designed for a) extremely low power use and b) very limited range.

Lets skip both of those problems and say an antenna would work. I'm almost certain you would then get a problem with so many BT devices able to see each other.

No. Bluetooth is point-to-point; cellphone networks are designed to be a hub-and-spoke system. Plus building one tower would at most double your range (if it was located perfectly in the middle); you need multiple towers connected by very expensive buried fibre and central switches.

Why do you want to do this?

Ronpia

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

So maybe we make a new BT version. That it may use high power to increase its signal and use towers to extend its range. What do you think friend?

Ronpia

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

Just came out of my mind and became curious if this is possible and i want to give it a shot.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008

that you'd need to rename it wi-fi? :)

BT isn't designed for this kind of work - it's like saying I'd like to pay for my goods using NFC by waving my phone at the kiosk from 50 feet away. Just not gonna happen...