Bluetooth install trouble

jjgurley

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
I've used BT on this computer before, but since upgrading to Windows 7 (I've tried x32 and x64 systems), when I plug in my cheap Bluetooth "dongle", I get the following devices:

Bluetooth Radios
- Bluetooth Radio
- MicrosoftBluetooth Enumerator
Network Adpaters
- Bluetooth Device(Personal Area Network)
- Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Other Devices
- !Bluetooth Peripheral Device

The last time I was using Bluetooth (I think it's with Win7, but maybe it was with XP), I got virtual COM ports instead of the Other Devices (with an ! mark).

If I look at the Other Devices, they all have the following Hardware IDs:
BTHENUM\{00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_VID&0001000f_PID&1200
BTHENUM\{00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_LOCALMFG&000a

I can find no reference to 32 bit VIDs, let alone "Local MFG" fields, except when discussing software generated virtual devices. I've tried a few generic BT drivers which don't change anything, and if I follow one guy's advice and update the driver for one of the Other Devices to being a Standard Serial over Bluetooth, it happily moves the device to the PORTS category and removes the ! mark, but I can't connect to the port.

I've paired the radio with an Android device, which was what I was successful with last time (more than a year ago) My PC Bluetooth Device List shows the Android connected, but TROUBLESHOOT says the driver is not installed. The Tablet mfr claims it doesn't involve them.