Bluetooth poor quality

I3lue1

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Hello guys,

I've bought a brand new bluetooth headset and I want to use it paired with my PC.
The headset: Gembird BHP-BER-W White
The bluetooth adaptor that I bought for my PC: Avantree BTDG-40S-BLK Black

User manual for each of them:
http://gmb.nl/item.aspx?id=7933
http://www.avantree.com/media/user_manual/DG40S_User_Manual.pdf

For the headset I can't install the driver whatever I do. I just keep getting the error "No Bluetooth device was detected."
For the adapter I manage to install it and everything works.

I can turn on the adapter, I can pair my PC with the headset and even when listening to music everything seems fine (but I can't use the microphone).

The problems begin when I want to use the microphone. If I enable the "make a call" option from the software provided for my adapter, the sound quality drops dramatically but now the microphone is usable. Sadly the microphone's sound quality is horrible also.

I know for sure it's not because of the headphones because I paired them with my mobile phone and everything works flawlessly (both audio and microphone). I also know for sure it's a software/ settings issue because this is the second bluetooth adaptor (diffrent brand from the first) that I buy and I have the same issue.

From what I read around the net, when a bluetooth headset sees that you wanna use the microphone, it goes into some kind of low power mode that creates the above issue.

Anybody has any idea about this? Did you encounter this? If so, how did you fix it?

Solution
When you use the microphone, your headset switches from "stereo hi-def" profile to "phone" profile, that's the reason for "lost sound quality". It happens on all headsets / BT speakers I have tried.

I3lue1

Honorable
May 26, 2013
And how do you fix it? I don't have this issue when connecting the same headset to my phone.

When connecting the headset to my PC and using the mic, the sound is choppy and low quality for me and the person I'm talking to also tells me that he can hear me poorly.

Exact same scenario: talking to the same person, using the same headset, using Skype, but paired to my phone and I hear great sound and so does the guy.

Cemozi

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Hello i have the same problem;
i have sennheiser mm550-x
when i been connected to phone or listen music on pc its very good
once i connect to skype the quality drops so much have latest blutooth driver too

zachofalltrades

Estimable
Apr 22, 2015
I have had the same experience and can confirm Alabalcho's answer.
After a great deal of research, trying various combinations of headsets, PC's, laptops, and USB bluetooth adapters -- my best solution for using a bluetooth headset for mixed stereo and voice communication is to disable the mic input for the bluetooth device in the 'sound' control panel, and use a cheap wired mic for when I need to do Skype or other voice input. I can get all audio output (including Skype and other conferencing tools) to the bluetooth headset through the 'stereo hi-def' profile, and avoid the problem of bluetooth switching over to the lower quality profile. It kind of sucks, but if you are passively listening more than talking, then it is about the best we can get given current devices and bluetooth protocols.

Erida

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
I have SVEN AP-450MV with same problem.
Like zachofalltrades i disabled mic in bluetooth headset and use wired mic. It's some kind of Windows problem but i don't know how to fix it.

cooper simith

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
I used to have a connection problem with different bluetooth headphone, and i tried to pull the power button for a long time(or till the light keep flashing ) so that they finally connected. As the Mic problem i didn't come across yet.