bluetooth signal, radio stations

jondoe888

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I often listen to music and news shows on my phone, using Tune-in radio and Bose headphones. As long as I've had phones, it's always been an iffy situation. Even in the corded days. With the phone in my pocket, it will lose the signal at the slightest brush or touch. Or, for no reason. If I barely touch my pocket, I will lose the signal. And I get so sick of those NPR stations with their welcome ad, that plays each tome it connects. And it often does this a LOT! It could be the phone, the BT signal, the headset. But I have 3 different BT headsets, and they all act the same way.

I've always had android phones. Someone said their iphone never does this, and suggested I get one.
Can anyone that listens in this manner confirm the signal's reliability?
Thanks

Solution
I would lean on phone being a problem because if it's on table, BT headset is in your head, it should work pretty flawlessly.

As you noticed yourself though, that is only part of the problem since for the online (tune-in radio streaming) content, it happens more.

This can either be more problems with the phone or pool cell coverage/changing cell tower all the time, both of which should be visible on phone as low signal (and low speed/bad connection)
I mentioned 2G as a possible problem, not really a solution since while it's signals are usually better, it's data capability is limited to 56kbit/s which is not enough for almost anykind of online stuff.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
There are problems in the phone end, how to exactly fix it is not guaranteed though.
Logic as to why:
phone connects to online radio station, gets ad and then the music/news/stuff
phone forwards what it receives to BT headset, headset acts only as a speaker, if it's there or not should have no impact on phone's connection to online site.

It is possible that phone has some energy saving options on to turn off mobile data usage or turn to 2g connection or.. something when it's screen is off which would hurt the streaming process. (or you have selected higher bitrate for the stream than what your phone can handle)

Depending on the phone size and pocket size/localtion, it might be that the phone gets bent a tiny bit on movement and/or pressure, possibly causing a disconnect of it's internal antenna's and thus losing the signal to cell towers for a moment.

If the problem would be between phone and BT headset, then it would also happen if you were listening to music stored on the phone (pretty easy to test that, just copy some mp3's over to the phone and play them)

Reactions: rb61

jondoe888

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
MP3's work better, but there is still some lost moments. Radio is worse, because it's yet another element in the mix. I'll try 2G. Good call on the phone bending, but the pockets are very loose. It happens less when the phone is sitting on the table, but still looses the signal. And it will take time to find it again. It really is the slightest touch that generally sends it looking. Like a glance.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
I would lean on phone being a problem because if it's on table, BT headset is in your head, it should work pretty flawlessly.

As you noticed yourself though, that is only part of the problem since for the online (tune-in radio streaming) content, it happens more.

This can either be more problems with the phone or pool cell coverage/changing cell tower all the time, both of which should be visible on phone as low signal (and low speed/bad connection)
I mentioned 2G as a possible problem, not really a solution since while it's signals are usually better, it's data capability is limited to 56kbit/s which is not enough for almost anykind of online stuff.

Solution