Boffins Close to Creating Suspended Animation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
A thought just popped into my mind. What sort of precautions would need to be taken to avoid decomposition while you're in suspended la-la land. Knowing bacteria, they'll find a way to avoid going into a suspended state and you might end up with a 'boffin' filled with digested people goo at the end of a trip.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
is suspended animation correct?

Anima (root) may refer to:

* the Latin term for the "animating principle", see vital force
o the Latin translation of Greek psyche
o in Christian contexts, the soul
o see also spirit
o Anima and animus, expressions of the unconscious or true inner self of an individual in Carl Jung's school of analytical psychology

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I work inside chemical plants and refineries . I wear an H2S detector almost everywhere I go.

At 5 ppb (parts per billion) you can small H2S. It smells like a rotten egg.
My detector goes off at 10 ppm. That's when I start looking for a wind sock and get the F out there.
At around 300 ppm the H2S does something to your nose and you lose your sense of smell. At this point it is probably too late to run. Chances are your going to die.

H2S is bad stuff. Oh well, I guess it can't be any worse then injecting botulism into your face.

G

This is a fairly old (2005) research area. Check out the wikipedia article on Hydrogen Sulfide and you'll find that this treatment doesn't appear to work on larger mammals as it has been tried on both pigs and sheep with no similar effects.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I wonder what the long term effect on the body is while in that state. Do they wake up grogy generally the same like in sci-fi or would you muscles waste and you wake up looking like you where in a full body cast.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
You will lose your muscle weight, so you are right in there. Even those who are in wake in space stations lose their strenght and they do training during the time they spent in space.

G

Actually, the Kubrick film was not an adaptation of Clarke's novel. Kubrick and Clarke wrote the screenplay together based on one of Clarke's earlier stories; all the while, Clarke was working on the (slightly different) novel, which he published just after the film's release.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I'm going to laugh my ass off when they try this for space travel and then the warp drive comes out a month later.

Those poor brave bastards are going to wake up at their destination 10 years later surrounded by suburbs and titty bars and all the people that beat them there.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
"black hole drive"

You should be fired just for writing that, it doesnt even exist in the science fiction world (for obvious reasons)!

dkArchon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]"black hole drive"You should be fired just for writing that, it doesnt even exist in the science fiction world (for obvious reasons)![/citation]

Actually... and man this is me showing serious geek-ness... (In the science fiction world) Romulans from Star Trek used a "Quantum Singularity" AKA Black Hole drive to power their ships movement.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, it sounds like a cruel joke, like "we'll have flying pigs by the time we go to Mars"

also, is it forced hibernation, or suspended animation? i.e. do you age? does your body function normally? (i.e. no help to terminal patients )

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
The most amusing part was seeing Kevin Parrish using the word "boffin".
On these shores? Seriously? Just one more step closer towards "Blighty's" plan for recolonization of the States.

KC8DKT

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dkArchon[/nom]Actually... and man this is me showing serious geek-ness... (In the science fiction world) Romulans from Star Trek used a "Quantum Singularity" AKA Black Hole drive to power their ships movement.[/citation]

I was going to point out the "Black Horizen" drive system, but yours STTNG Q-Singularity will work as well. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.