Bon Jovi: Steve Jobs Killed Music Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
You know......I dont really like Bon Jovi,but I gotta say he's pretty on the money with this,there is something abiut going to the record store and digging and finding something you can connect with that is really cool to you.....Im a definite hardcore record collector............

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I think it's more a case of crap music killing the industry. I am going to be frank here: If you are going to revert to producing your crap music on a computer, then I will buy your crap music on a computer.

MWIZ

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
"making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like"

Ya, I'm sure the industry truly does miss the days of consumers lacking the ability to make an informed purchasing decision.

G

Jobs may have administered the killing blow, but it was whiny little pricks like Jon that spent decades skullfucking the music industry with "Rock Against Drugs". Bon Jovi should STFU and go back to counting his money.

commandersozo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Greedy record labels and the RIAA killed the music industry. Steve Jobs just beat the dead horse for all the money it was worth. Put into this context, is that surprising?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
"Kids today have missed the whole experience of. . . taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it."

I think what he meant to say was, "Kids today have missed the whole experience of wasting their money on albums that sound like total butthole because they heard the one good single on the radio, and didn't have any way to determine whether the rest was any good."

He says Steve Jobs and other digital distributors are ruining music, I say exactly the opposite. The ability to preview music before I spend my hard-earned money on it is a good thing. I still buy all the music I listen to, but now, I don't have to buy an album's worth of poop to get a good song. And I still find album art creative and intriguing; the fact that I don't have to dig through a collection of dusty vinyls while some asshole hipster stares me down over the top of his horn-rimmed glasses doesn't lessen the emotions that music evokes, or the enjoyment I get listening to it for the first time.

tl;dr: world's smallest violin for Bon Jovi playing over here.

ttt222

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Before, we would buy CDs and ripped them into mp3 for our devices. Now, we just download straight to devices. Apple just cut out the middle man. Downloads make less money, because you don't have to buy every song. Realistically, not many like every song on a CDs. $12-$15 for CDs where as $0.99 for each song you like.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
iTunes didn't kill the music industry. Crap music killed the music industry. Not sure I agree with comments made by a guy that wrote a bunch of songs, when only a handful of them don't completely suck.

Microsoft also has done their fair share. Most people on PCs use Windows. An OS should have better copyright protection. It's very easy to rip an MP3 off of a YouTube video. MP3s should be just as protected as Windows operating systems themselves to prevent such sharing. That's not exactly the consumer's fault. Someone left a hole wide open.

fkfrankie3

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
When was music ever about a piece of vinyl or plastic??? Whether I hear a song on the radio, my iPod, a CD, or live, it is the actual music that counts. I believe the piracy is the only downside to digital music revolution. Now any band/group, regardless of location, can be heard by anyone dedicated finding something to relate to, without the band having to pay 5 years salary working at a low paying job to pay for mass production of CDs . No longer will we be fooled into buying a full album for a song that probably ate up 95 percent of the album's budget to make.

Cherish the past, look to the future, and ROCK ON!!!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Physical mediums are awesome. I like Steam's ability to not have to worry about settiny up multiplayer accounts and the such and I also like their update feature and their community but unless I couldn't find it anywhere else I would NEVER buy a game through Steam because I like having the case and the manual and the cool box art (not to mention with a big game 15-20 GB it takes about 1/3 of the time to install). There is something special about having something physical same with a CD.

willpeavydotcom

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Having kids spend their money, on an album they can't fully preview, is good for people like Bon Jovi - but it's not good for the kids.

The digital distribution of music affords kids the opportunity to more easily hear artists, and styles of music, they might otherwise not hear. This is good for kids and independent artists, but baf for Bon Jovi.

leadpoop

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Music industry dead? I think not!! More like the Music Labels are the ones that are dying!! The Music Industry is thriving and these morons refuse to change their business model to adapt to the changing times.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
"In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far, Computers came and broke your heart. Put the blame on Steve Jobs?"

Same song, different verse. Survived before, will continue to survive.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]iTunes didn't kill the music industry. Crap music killed the music industry. Not sure I agree with comments made by a guy that wrote a bunch of songs, when only a handful of them don't completely suck.Microsoft also has done their fair share. Most people on PCs use Windows. An OS should have better copyright protection. It's very easy to rip an MP3 off of a YouTube video. MP3s should be just as protected as Windows operating systems themselves to prevent such sharing. That's not exactly the consumer's fault. Someone left a hole wide open.[/citation]

i have to say no. an mp3 shouldn't be copy protected the same way windows is, in the way that a 300+$ item should require a store employee to remove it from the shelf, a 1$ item shouldn't.

im not saying piracy should be there, but more copy protection isn't an answer we like. we started pirating because we only wanted 1 or 2 songs off a cd, someone came and gave us that.

also, i wont say ill look back on a cd and say its ancient, when i can rip a cd and get better quality audio still. once we move to flac ill think that cds are ancient, but till than i envy them because they are higher quality.

G

My heart bleeds for him - "beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like" - that's why I have shelves of CD's that I will never play again - partly because my tastes changed, but partly because I bought expensive CD's only to find the music inside was rubbish. I listen to music online. If I like it I buy the CD. If not I delete it and move on. I buy less; but what I buy, I listen to now.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
WTF Jon?!? If anything iTunes invigorated the music industry and created a solid foundation for music to be bought legally. JBJ is out of touch and would be shocked if he didn't have iTunes or his kids. lol.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Sounds like he's complaining more about the loss of huge paydays from marginal material than any real damage to the industry. Not every album can be Slippery When Wet, but most are one of the thousands of others released in the same decade that had nothing chartable.
Cover art indeed.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Welcome to the 21st century BJ. Gone are the times when you had to walk to the record store, uphill, barefoot, wind blowing in your face, snow on the ground......wondering is the record in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.