Boot from USB gone from BIOS

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I made a bootable USB pen drive using unetbootin-windows from Ubuntu cd image on my Compaq Presario notebook CQ61. After the process completed it asked for reboot, I pressed OK button, but to my surprise I found that USB was gone from the boot menu. I have booted from a live USB pen drive on this same machine many times before, I tried resetting bios but still, no usb in boot menu!the notebook is otherwise working fine. searching the web I found only one mention of a similar problem at
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-D...1060071#M20012
with no answer.
can someone pl help?:

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I have seen this on many occations with Lenovo systems. An inital boot has the USB devise and following bootups don't. If you go into the bios you may find the option to add boot devises to the boot list. The USB devise for whatever reason gets defined as a USB devise but slightly different. I'm not sure what the unique distinction is but you would need to add that item to the boot list of devices.

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

yes can enter boot menu by hitting f9, & usb is gone from the list, its also gone from boot device lst of BIOS!

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

thanks a lot for the clue, Although usb was gone from boot menu, & boot device list in BIOS I was able to find it under system configuration tab of BIOS where it was at the bottom of a list of usb devices with "!" mark, I was able to move it up the list & lo! it showed up in my boot menu again.
Thanks again