TehSea Otter

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015
I have an old Gateway M465-E MA6 laptop that is pretty old. I have had this computer for good part of 5 years. (It has sat up for about 2 of those years)Though I know that it is towards the end of its life span I recently wanted to pull it down and give it a new OS and give it to my girlfriend who just wants it to type on. When it was put up the laptop worked perfect and only had the Hard drive taken out of it.

When the you turn on the laptop it will pull up the bios with no problem, it's just what happens after that, nothing. The bios screen will load and then just a black screen, no words no nothing. I thought at first it was just because it didn't have a hard drive in it but with a hard drive and trying to boot it off of a USB it still has just a black screen. All fans spin up and the PC will stay on the bios screen for as long as you want it to.

Things I have tried:
Different hard drives
No hard drives
Windows USB drive
Using VGA out to display to another monitor
Re-seated the heat sink inside the laptop

Please if you have any clue what could be wrong with it please reply. I haven't seen any posts like this in means of a laptop so I thought I would try.

Hi,

You've pretty much done all the possible troubleshooting steps and your left with few steps. Do test the AC adapter and battery as well.
- Remove the battery off the laptop then connect it just directly to its AC adapter and see if it will boot up normally.
- Do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up or not.
- If the same problem will persist I would also suggest opening the laptop and disconnecting the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard. Once disconnected, connect the external monitor again and see if it will boot up normally or not and will display onto the external display.

TehSea Otter

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I have tried without the battery. One think one thing that I could add is that the black screen is backlit like its going to start to boot into windows but will sit like that for hours if you let it. I just wonder what is causing this?