Bored Hunters Are Shooting Down Google's Fibers

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
If the idiots are shooting down the fiber then dont fix it. Run the fiber where people will appreciate it. I am stuck with TWC as the only highspeed provider where i am and would be the first one inline for some fiber internet.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]briandr[/nom]If the idiots are shooting down the fiber then dont fix it. Run the fiber where people will appreciate it. I am stuck with TWC as the only highspeed provider where i am and would be the first one inline for some fiber internet.[/citation]
They are used by Google's data centers. They are not available for use by you.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
That just shows how awesome google is in every way....repair men on cross country skis.....you would think this was a james bond movie lol

G

Setup shielded high resolution cameras along with say 200 decibel alarms.

Anytime someone shoots and hits the fiber, cameras or even the power lines, the sequence of video footage for the area in question would be flagged from the time of the incident to at least up to say a half hour worth of video before the incident occurred. If the cameras were not damaged, then an additional half hour of video would be flagged after the incident.

At the same time, the alarm in the immediate vicinity could be set off for say about 5 to 10 minutes.

Something like this would scare the crap out of the idiots shooting at utility lines. (Fiber, Power, etc.) Plus the video footage would give law enforcement a chance to identify and catch such idiots.

The 200db alarms would mostly serve to discourage idiots from doing this in the first place cause after the first couple of times, peer pressure would prevent them from being so stupid.

G

Well, a man can't live on game alone. He's gotta have fiber, too!

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]What a bunch of morons. Why pick something expensive to waste your ammo on? Shoot a dead tree or an empty soda can for goodness sake.[/citation]

Have you seen The Dalles, OR? It's on the edge of OR's high desert and there ain't much there. You could drop a nuke on the place and other than the crate, no one could tell the difference. But yeah, definitely a bunch of morons. Been through there many times.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Even though destroying property like this is wrong, the whole story still put a smile on my face :)

Another note, sounds like those repair men have the best job! Imagine the stories you could hear from a Google line repairman.

G

I had a Buddy as a teen in the 70's that went out shooting with a cousin. Just random targets. In the middle of the woods they found an old phone line low to the ground, about head height. They attached targets to this and shot off a bunch of rounds,(22cal).

A couple days later the Feds showed up...a few grand and a juvenile conviction later they learned it was the main trunk line from Worcester to Springfield Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.