Bose 700 vs. Sony WH-1000xM3: Which noise-cancelling headphones are best

Jun 30, 2020
I have no doubt that the Bose 700 is an amazing bit of kit and I firmly believe it is superior to the XM3 with respect to call quality. Rumour is the upcoming XM4 will address this shortfall.
I recommend everyone weighing up the decision try both on because comfort should be your first priority and that will always be subjective. What isn’t subjective is the ANC. I’m disappointed to see that the reviewer has indicated the Bose is superior without any scientific basis. Of all the online reviews I’ve read which suggest the same, none have used any testing methodology that is independent with hard facts. The reviews that do use scientific sound tests all indicate the Sony is superior in noise cancellation. It undermines the credibility of the review. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting the Bose are bad. I doubt anyone in the market for premium ANC headphones will be greatly disappointed in either (Sony call quality aside). I just fail to comprehend how the key point about these headphones being ANC can be so poorly compared on what only can be regarded as anecdotal, subjective opinion.

Fransz

Estimable
May 5, 2017
I was a Bose customer for ANC headphones but switched to Sony because of the shameful Bose's service always saying that the product was urepairable and you need to purchase a new one instead of servicing the customer. Even a dead bult-in battery is enough to throw away Bose earphones. So Bose can save their products, they're garbage to me.

By the way, ANC Sony headphones are amazing; as I don't use them for taking calls I couldn't tell nothing about it, but noise cancelling and sound quality are suberb and way better than my previous Bose ones.

Last edited: