Bose 901 series 3 equalizer

KarateKid_66

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello, I have a pair of 1977 Bose 901 Series III along with a series III bose equalizer. I was thinking about using my JVC Receiver that has a built in equalizer. I realize that the equalizer built in will not even come close to Bose qualification. However, this is my only receiver now for my Pioneer is shelved. Will running my JVC R. with my 901's be alright as long as I keep all JVC EQ levels down while using my Bose EQ? Thanks Mitch

G

The Bose EQ systems is designed to overcome the inherent limitations of the 901's design -- ie lots of small speakers with a short throw cannot produce as much bass as one large long-throw drive unit.

In fact to most hifi enthusiasts the appeal of the Bose 901 remains a bit of a mystery because it's main virtue is the ability to produce high volumes without damage. The multi directional quality of the enclosure is also at odds with the usual wisdom abut stereo imaging but like the volume may well be useful in public address systems.

If you like the Bose sound, I wouldn't worry about the effect of the JVC's equaliser function -- though frankly most equalisers are best left centred or bypassed altogether.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
True. But they are not hifi.

In fact to most hifi enthusiasts the appeal of the Bose 901 remains a bit of a mystery because it's main virtue is the ability to produce high volumes without damage.
Bose has always been very good at marketing.