Bought used ALIENWARE

Feb 28, 2018
I just bought an Alienware R4 17
Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz
16Gb ram
GeForce GTX 1070
128GB SSD
1Tb HDD
My question is that the ALIEN FX allows you to change the colors of backlighting and led on side, alien symbol led, ect. But they aren't changing. I spoke with tech support and did the whole uninstall/ reinstall thing and they said something about not responding to the board. So a tech is coming to replace the motherboard. My question is could i possibly have gotten a bad computer or a tampered with one. Like say the person took something out that's causing the problem. Everything else seems to work. Having a little trouble with the tobii eye tracking to but haven't downloaded any games to test it completely since the tech is replacing the motherboard. I'm not that familiar with computers and I'm worried i got ripped off. Any help or comments would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Barty1884

Admirable
It's possible, but unlikely. If someone was to mess with the system, there would much more valuable options to them than a connector for lighting control.

The control software is typically dependent on other drivers already being installed (chipset drivers etc) and is more likely the issue.
If you were in need of a motherboard replacement, I would expect many more problems than just being unable to control a couple of LEDs.

Feb 28, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from freegino : "Need help with newly bought ALIENWARE laptop"

I just bought an Alienware R4 17
Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz
16Gb ram
GeForce GTX 1070
128GB SSD
1Tb HDD

My question is that the ALIEN FX allows you to change the colors of backlighting and led on side, alien symbol led, ect. But they aren't changing. I spoke with tech support and did the whole uninstall/ reinstall thing and they said something about not responding to the board. So a tech is coming to replace the motherboard. My question is could i possibly have gotten a bad computer or a tampered with one. Like say the person took something out that's causing the problem. Everything else seems to work. Having a little trouble with the tobii eye tracking to but haven't downloaded any games to test it completely since the tech is replacing the motherboard. I'm not that familiar with computers and I'm worried i got ripped off. Any help or comments would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
#Alienware #Laptophelp

Feb 28, 2018

Feb 28, 2018
I'm also having charging issues. When i boot up it says something about not charging and i ran a diagnostic and it said could be problem with motherboard. So I'm not sure what's up. I don't know computers well enough

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Laptop General Discussion 1
ProfNeko Laptop General Discussion 1
Nedgy Laptop General Discussion 6
James235 Laptop General Discussion 1
olg1976 Laptop General Discussion 1
Diarnurrizky Laptop General Discussion 0
Noahman1234 Laptop General Discussion 2
K Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 5
J Laptop General Discussion 1